Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking for my first protective clothing setup and I don't think I want a suit. I am considering a jacket or a veil but not sure yet. I do know that I don't like the looks of the English style hoods as in every picture I have seen of them they look really floppy and it is always falling over the face of the person in the photo. Because of that I have been looking at the veil helmet/hat combos and was trying to get some insight on which might be better and also what jackets are out there that would work with a veil/helmet.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I followed a recommendation to get the 'fencing' veil type and have regretted it ever since. The loops holding the veil up are always obscuring what you want to see. You will notice in photos of people wearing them that you can't see their eyes, and they can't see you properly. It was a revelation when I borrowed a hat and hoops type, I could see all around. I bought a ventilated top off Bill Samples but it still had the fencing type veil, although I read he was looking into the possibility of manufacturing a hoops type. I was going to have a go at making a retro fit hoops type veil but cant find the material any more. I would also go for a camouflage colour if your apiary is in an area of possible vandalism.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a hood and veil and a jacket with the attached fencing type veil. I like the hood and veil more as the little squares are bigger and you can see much better out of them. However if you are climbing a tree or doing a cut out up high to get some bees you cannot look up with the hat and veil without leaning way back - in this case the jacket with the fencing veil works better for me.
The jacket is a little more convenient because it is quicker to put on and you can delay putting it on longer in the heat. However the jacket is hotter than adding a long sleeve shirt and ht/veil.

I prefer the hat and veil most times especially if i am specifically looking for eggs.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
If you get a jacket, get the veil that has a zipper.
I find the veils with strings don't keep the bees out.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have this set up and i like it. my only complaint is the sizing device in the hat, i have a big head and the velcro just barley holds. i sometime wear the hat around, its comfortable and this set up is cooler than the jacket/hat/veil combo i first bought from dadant. i like both, the jacket is quick, easy, and secure. the hat veil i mainly bought for when friends want to check out the bees and it is much cooler and easy to carry in the truck next to some gloves and a nuc. never know when you will find a swarm or a turned over semi of bees. i have not had any luck with either and i am thankful i never encountered the latter. i bet that super swarm from an over turned trailer would be scary.

here is what i bought from dadant and i like it.
https://www.dadant.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=34_64&products_id=1111

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I must have missed that one you linked to at Dadant. That looks like about what I want if I go with a jacket setup. Either that one or from Betterbee. Oh...and if you don't mind me asking...how big is your noggin? I ask because I have a bit of a larger head myself so I am just wondering if the helmet would work for me or not.

http://www.betterbee.com/products.asp?dept=1605

·
Registered
185 Posts
i just happen to have a sticky with my hat size stuck to my imac, i have a 7 3/8 -> 7 5/8 (us size)

my one complaint about the jacket/veil/hat combo is it makes it hard to turn your head side to side.
but it works, i have not been stung yet.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The Clear View veil is the best on the market. It can be purchased with a string draw down or zipper for attachment to the inspectors jacket or coverall. The veil can be purchased through Brushy Mountain or Hoffman, other suppliers probably carry it also. You will not find a better veil.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I like the look of that clear view veil.
I wonder if you can swap a hood veil for a hoop type viel?
Is the attachment to the jacket/overall the same?
Perhaps I should ask the question in a new post to reach the target audience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts