Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As my eyes age, I find I am more and more often removing my traditional veil to be better able to see eggs, especially when standing in shade. Doing so is not a problem most of the time. But at times, I would rather not remove my veil.

I have thought of cutting out some of the mesh material at eye-level and hot gluing in a panel of flexible, clear cellophane-like material in its place. Might be hard to keep clean. Maybe easily damaged. Any experience with such a veil? Anything out there for sale?

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have never seen anything like that, I think there would be problems with the plastic fogging up and making visibility worse! However, I have seen researchers use jeweler magnification headsets to increase their ability to see things. They can wear them under their veils, especially if its the fencing hood style.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
One pair of aged eyes to another, wearing a good, bright headlamp helps, too.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
626 Posts
I wear a baseball hat under my veil and then taped my Readers to the bill up high under the brim. This way I tilt my head down and look through the glasses. Worked ok. I also have a light that is made fit your BB hat brim, but forgit to turn it on the other day.
I know what you are thinking of though and wonder if it would be too heavy for that veil

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Acetate sheet is available at hobby stores. I have used it for RC model plane windshields. I see it being touted now for Covid virus face shields.

https://canada.michaels.com/en/diy-face-masks-and-shields/acetate-face-shield/acetate-face-shield

You should be able to fashion something combined with a bee veil and an old straw hat for a trial. I find peering through the screen veils makes my eyes hunt for focus like trying to read a newspaper that has been blurred in printing.. To see eggs the depth of focus is critical and easily messed with by the screen.

Worth a try.

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
834 Posts
davemal, I am with you on some type of a clear panel to see through on a veil. Sometimes I have to just about have my nose on the comb to see eggs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
66 years young and had the same problem. Tried using my cheaters to no avail. Earlier this year I got my first prescription glasses and without even thinking about the glasses I did a hive inspection. Wow, I was able to see everything on the frames for the first time. Sorry I waited so long.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great tips. Thanks, all. Will give them a try. I buy 4.5 readers
https://www.amazon.com/Reading-Glas...=1&keywords=4.5+readers&qid=1592991228&sr=8-9

They work well to see eggs, though I need to look above them when I walk around the yard so as not to stumble. Even with them, the screen veil is still problematic, particularly when trying to see eggs while in the shade or on a cloudy day. In such cases, I throw off the veil. Then I can see eggs very well with my 4.5 readers. Hoping the bees remain calm.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Before I had my cataracts removed I put a 4"X6" ridged plastic in my veil. Reading glasses kind of worked but walking was not safe. I just replaced the plastic after 4 years, it only fogged up when I walked up the hill to my hives never while working my hives. I tried flexible plastic and the glare was very bad.

·
Registered
Two 8-frame Langstroth hives
218 Posts
wearing a good, bright headlamp helps, too.
Have you tried this? I think that if you have the light inside the veil, you will get a lot of reflection back off the veil, which makes it worse. Needs to be outside the veil to work I think.

My eyes are not even 50yrs old, and I never see eggs. I usually take a photo, which I enlarge on the computer, and then I see eggs.

I do have a magnifying glass in my bee toolbox, which I often forget in the shed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts