Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed what happens to a dead mite over time?
I.e. Would a dead mite retain shape and appearance over a 2-3 month period during the winter months in a sub freezing environment?
Or another way of putting it... I did O&A this past September... I had one of my hive die a few weeks back... I found mites at the bottom of the hive, but I'm wondering if they could have been the bodies from the O&A back in September...
They look almost crab like and wonder if their exo structure would remain in tack.

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
I've got a sticky board I got out of a hive 3-4 years ago, mites look just fine,no change in appearance, none have moved lately:D

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got a sticky board I got out of a hive 3-4 years ago, mites look just fine,no change in appearance, none have moved lately:D
That's nice to know... For a moment I thought that they might have made it to Montana!!!!
So it is safe to say that the mites that I found on the bottom board could have been from last Fall!
This coming Fall. I will make it a point to clean the board off after I am done with the mite treatments....

·
Registered
694 Posts
That's nice to know... For a moment I thought that they might have made it to Montana!!!!
So it is safe to say that the mites that I found on the bottom board could have been from last Fall!
This coming Fall. I will make it a point to clean the board off after I am done with the mite treatments....
Sure, it's safe to say that. They "might" have been. But there's not proof they didn't come off the bees afterward, or even after they died.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts