Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the end of last year I treated with OAV and had a mega mite drop out of 25 hives went through winter lost 40% and have built my numbers up to 30+ heading for FALL so I decided to do mite tests {alcohol wash's} .
All the DEEPS you see in these pic where treated as with the TRI. nuc towers .

some nucs in the back.

This yard is only 50 yards away from the first yard

The back side.

And my garden hives.:D

So out of all them hives no mites in the alcohol wash's :scratch: It makes me happy but not one at this time of the year sure was a good feeling testing and not seeing any VARROA.
My bee's are on 4.9 cell if that makes a difference .
I have not seen any DWV or PMS no virus at all and all hives are strong alittle to strong they where not in to me digging in there brood nest took around 10 stings but they paid more then I did some had to die for the cause.:(

Hopping not having to treat this year that would be great.
What do you all think? Is this a dream come true ?
Thank you .

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Your results are good - too good to believe.

There are lots of dead bees in your bucket but let's confirm a few things:

what was your sample size?
where in the hive did the sample come from?
did you do anything differently from the last time you did an alcohol wash and found mites?

I'm scratching my head - I hope for your sake there are no mites to find, but my intellect tells me that re-infestation would have happened even if you had killed every mite last year.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do agree but I'm sure I did them right
1 cup of bees and I took them off the open brood.
And I rinsed them 2 times .
It is pretty crazy but I'm sure I did things right .
I am going to test again in SEPT.
I'm scratching my head all so but happy at the same time.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Hi Glock, I'd like to make a suggestion. Alcohol washes are a pain and kill bees. Nothing knocks mites off like OAV. I realize it's nice to not treat, but they should not build up a resistence to OAV anyway. Why not ake your strongest hive, put a sticky board under it and treat it with OAV. About 3 days later the lionshare of mites will have fallen. Then you will know for sure and I'd love to see the comparison to the washes which showed zero. I get Thousands by day three on a very infected hive. Intresting to see what your numbers are like.
U really don't test anymore, Florida is eat up with mites, I just treat my treated hives. I'll do some drop counts in the fall of my TF hives and decide if the counts are low enough to go into winter without treating... I hope to make queens of my strongest TF hives and move in that direction.
Good luck,
Robbin

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Yard looks great Glock, and the numbers sound great. Looks like alot of bees but just a drop in the bucket if all those hives are booming i bet. Good Luck.:thumbsup: G

·
Registered
177 Posts
Glock, I was in the same boat as you. Last year I had a large mite count after trying fogging. Moved to OVA and worked great. This year I moved them over to 4.9 and I haven't seen mites since. It kind of worried me why I hadn't seen any when I was doing natural mite drop counts on the sticky board, so I hit them with OVA just to make sure. I had 3 mites at the end of day 3. I feel a little better that I found a couple. It's almost a double edge sword on thinking your going crazy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts