Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to try a powdered sugar dusting as a means of controlling the varroa mite count in my top bar hives. From what i've seen, it looks like having a screened bottom board is a necessary component for this process.

Without screens for the mites to fall through, wouldn't they just collect on the floor of the hive and crawl back up onto the bees?

Those of you with solid bottom boards, how are you dealing with this issue?

I should probably post this on the top bar forum, but i thought it might get a little more visibility here.

Cheers!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good morning, Michael!

I admit to being in a modified panic at the moment. Yesterday, someone who was generous enough to review my inspection photographs with a highly critical eye spotted a worker bee with deformed wing virus. This was in addition to a photograph of a drone with clearly deformed wings. And sure enough, a week or two ago, i saw a mite on a drone through the observation window, but thought, "Well, it's just the one, and the bees look unaffected, so i'll just set concerns aside and remain observant." So much for my powers of observation! Apparently, the varroa count is high enough to be impacting the bees, and i SO want to give my bees the best possible chance of successfully overwintering.

What would you advise?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,171 Posts
Before you start trying to treat, why not measure the problem? It is much easier to come up with a plan for a problem you have quantified, than a plan for a nebulous idea of a problem. Sugar shakes, uncap a few drones. Put down some sticky paper...

http://www.dadant.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=352

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, i was under the impression (or possibly, the misimpression) that powdered sugar dusting was a benign first step towards quantifying the problem and possibly preventing a more serious infestation.

Meanwhile, thank you for the link! I JUST asked on another thread if there was some kind of sticky paper that was strong enough to catch mites, but not so strong as to prevent the bees from moving about over it. And here's your link! I'll look into this. With so many combs built all the way to the bottom, i'm not sure how much wiggle room i'll have for paper and screen.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,171 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts