Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One method we learned <and I've read about here> is to put a white sheet of cardboard/paper that has been treated with either an oil or sticky substance under the ventilated bottom board . I'm just not sure how long to leave it there . The guy that taught our class had a sheet under some of his hives , but I don't remember any mention of how long it had been there . His were printed with a black/white pattern , some kind of measurement device . I'm just using a piece of white butcher paper coated with cooking oil taped to a piece of sheet metal <metal will be under there come cold weather , I figure they might benefit from partially blocking airflow> laid on the stand below the bottom board ... depending on my results I may do a sugar shake to pin down an approximate percentage of infestation . Is there any kind of calculation , i.e. "12 mites per 4 square inches equals approximately X percentage infestation" that I can use with the paper under the bb method ? :scratch:

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK , after leaving a 13" x 18" piece of white butcher paper coated with cooking oil under the screen bottom for 3 days I counted about 30-40 mites on it . This compares pretty evenly with the count on our bee teacher's sticky board . What are the chances I lost a few because the paper wasn't sticky enough ? One I touched with a 6" steel scale <I was measuring them , dark shiny ovals about .080" long and .040-.050 wide> was still alive ... and no , my eyes ain't that good , I was looking at them under a magnifying lens in a ring light .
Thanks for the link Rader , it was very informative . It seems the more I learn the more I realize just how ignorant I am ...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts