Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start off by saying that "slumgum" is a fun word to say. Sounds like a bad guy in a book written for 5th graders.
Helmet Gas Circle Bedrock Soil
On Sunday, I helped my dad with his honey harvest.This was year one for him after about 30 years away from the hobby. He had three honey supers on it. The bottom super had 1.5 frames of usable honey and the two above it had 30+ year old wax that was ignored by the bees. It was brittle and flaky. So we went through all of his equipment, including boxes in his shed, and pulled out all of the frames with flaky comb. I took that to my place to melt it down and get something out of it. What I got was almost entirely slumgum.

I did some looking and here are the uses I found:
1. use it to bait swarm traps
2. use it in the smoker
3. use it as a fire starter

What else is there? Would this be something good to use in potting soil? What uses have you found from the byproduct of boiling old comb?

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Compost.
For example:
Characterization of beekeeping wastes for using in seedling production

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bear bait and I have heard of people that trap using it as a cover scent
There are no wild bears in central Iowa, so for the life of me I can't imagine why you would want to attract them to you.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I do not melt down black brood comb. However, I like to use old black comb in my potting soil. I put it in the bottom of the pots/containers and put potting soil on top. There are no weed seeds in it, and it saves on potting soil. I experimented with using both all potting soil and putting black comb below potting soil and they both grew the same.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,456 Posts
Let me start off by saying that "slumgum" is a fun word to say. Sounds like a bad guy in a book written for 5th graders.
View attachment 65604 On Sunday, I helped my dad with his honey harvest.This was year one for him after about 30 years away from the hobby. He had three honey supers on it. The bottom super had 1.5 frames of usable honey and the two above it had 30+ year old wax that was ignored by the bees. It was brittle and flaky. So we went through all of his equipment, including boxes in his shed, and pulled out all of the frames with flaky comb. I took that to my place to melt it down and get something out of it. What I got was almost entirely slumgum.

I did some looking and here are the uses I found:
1. use it to bait swarm traps
2. use it in the smoker
3. use it as a fire starter

What else is there? Would this be something good to use in potting soil? What uses have you found from the byproduct of boiling old comb?
beehive bond-O.

good for fixing holes and cracks, applied with a torch.
Also coat new Lids and bottom boards.

not sure I would put it in the smoker.

GG

1 - 10 of 10 Posts