Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Clean up of deceased colony

How do I clean up hives where the bees died, they, from all indications died from starvation there are several headfirst in the cells, there are several dead brood, and it really stinks. There is some pollen stored in the cells. There are about 14-16 frames drawn out. I use 2 deep hive bodies per colony to winter. I would like to start in the spring w/ 3, 4 frame nuc colonys so they would have most of their frames drawn out and ready to go. so I need to get the mess out of my frames:scratch:

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Knock what bees you can out of the cells and the new bees you put on those comb will clean out the rest.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Your expression "it really stinks"....is that SIMPLY an expression of how terrible all this work has gone for naught, or is there a bad odor emanating from your hive?
Sorry for your loss, I've had one too about a month ago, but your answer is important.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Yes, he could, but we know that is a waste of time.:) 2,021-2,022-2,023---5,672-5,673:D

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is a really bad odor, but i'm sure it is not foul brood. Any time you have dead bees they are going to stink. According our state apiarist. The fact that they were in the cells trying to eat indicates they starved.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some will knock out some have to be pulled out. I have been scraping the dead brood off the foundation but it makes a mess of the cells. I suppose the new bees will rebuild whats left???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts