Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

UV Blue and Swarm Traps

1106 6
This is interesting...informed from the Menzel / Chittka / Dyer line of bee brain studies.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,335 Posts
Actually from the old USSR research yet - the dark blue hives would normally attract the most drifting bees across the area.
Dark blue was discouraged due to excessive drifting to so painted hives.

But darn - I knew this and I also have the dark blue paint - never clicked with me to paint the swarm traps with the paint (at least the fronts).

Next year I should consider.

Good find @Litsinger!

·
Registered
915 Posts
I plan on making a few of these this winter. I have made mine in the past on my printer and the filament is priced right.

I only use my printer in the winter when I will be home to keep an eye on it. A friend of mine almost lost his welding shop because a 3D printer was doing a long print in the attached building and caught fire. His dog alerted him before it got real big.
I just realized I have a Honey House were I can set them up this winter and be in the wood shop beside it.😃

·
Super Moderator
North Georgia USA Zone 7b Mutts and Carniolans in Langs.
844 Posts
I plan on making a few of these this winter. I have made mine in the past on my printer and the filament is priced right.
This oddball plastic is available for 3D printers?

Guessing that "UV-induced blue fluorescence" appears to bees like visible light florescent plastic appears to us? Cause it looks just like ordinary plastic in the picture.

Reminds me of some test plastic I ran over 20 years ago. Extrusion blow mold operator at a baby products factory, was handed a box of florescent green poly-carbonate and instructed to run some samples. Warned to not let anyone take one of the test baby bottles. Ran the test, yes there was some curiosity by coworkers. Resisted the temptation to keep one myself... Nothing had been said about scrap so one of the flat 'tails' accidentally fell in my tool box ;) Months later a sales rep for one of our pigment suppliers saw it and started asking twenty questions. Apparently the hush hush was not just us but the other plastic supplier. And no, we never ran anymore after the one small test.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is interesting...informed from the Menzel / Chittka / Dyer line of bee brain studies.
Randomly happened upon your post here. I am the author of that study, if you have any questions/comments/critiques on anything!

Clever. Now the guy needs to start marketing these UV-blue entrances.
I had no intention of selling these, but I've had such a response from people asking to buy either the entrances or the 3d printer (STL) files - I've recently made them available to purchase, if you're interested. This isn't a sales pitch, there are cheap/easy ways to test this for yourself.

This oddball plastic is available for 3D printers?

Guessing that "UV-induced blue fluorescence" appears to bees like visible light florescent plastic appears to us? Cause it looks just like ordinary plastic in the picture.
But darn - I knew this and I also have the dark blue paint - never clicked with me to paint the swarm traps with the paint (at least the fronts).

Good find @Litsinger!
Yes, you can purchase UV-reactive filament in both PLA and ABS plastic online. This plastic glows blue under a UV light, or would appear to be glowing blue for honey bees. You can also find UV-reactive paint that would have the same effect, as a "low-tech" option. Just put a little paint around the entrance of your traps (I don't think painting the whole hive/trap with this would be recommended/necessary). In my case, I wanted to 3d print/design a specific entrance that made it easy for me to bait/re-bait the swarm traps with a pheromone lure, and allowed me to easily close up/secure the entrance for transportation back to my bee yard without them escaping into my car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts