Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
This is exactly what I was thinking, before you even said it. AHB have a reputation for doing this and although it doesn't account for 100% of cases, is something you should keep an eye on as you continue to work the hive.
Thanks for the response, mtnmyke. Two years later following this event and the suspected usurpation-issuing colony (#1804) is still around and is a model of good behavior.

Thus far, this is the only Summer swarm event I have recorded in my yard, but it appears to be a fairly common event in Dr. Mangum's operation.

I sincerely hope all is well with you and your family. I hope you all have a joyous and blessed Thanksgiving.

Russ

·
Registered
6a 3rd yr 5 production hives 1/ 2 q resource hive
469 Posts
One of my strongest has displayed this behavior for 2 years. I think its an original swarm coming back to reclaim their space. Population swells, some fighting, then they settle into winter mode. Just that one hive. Italian large population that also go through stores. Whatever. Just adds to the character of the yard.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
One of my strongest has displayed this behavior for 2 years. I think its an original swarm coming back to reclaim their space.
That is really interesting, LAlldredge: Is it a large group of bees or is it a small cluster as generally described by Dr. Mangum?

21 - 24 of 24 Posts