Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the call this morning to pick up a queen I ordered a couple of days ago so I went to the post office a couple of hours later to pick it up. When I stepped up to the counter and told the person behind the counter I was here to pick up the bee he looked at me kind of worried and mumbled as he walked away and came back shortly thereafter holding this box far away from himself and said, here, take this and please don't bother taking the package out of the box, he was holding up one of those large boxes that hold hundreds of letters all taped up solid with a big piece of paper with big letters saying "LIVE BEE!" and said just keep the whole thing please. I kinda laughed and asked are you sure, he said please keep it!! :lpf:

·
Registered
378 Posts
Re: USPS a little parinoid about queen bee!

You did have a " live Bee" capable of revenge from the mishandling of her fallen sisters.......

·
Registered
49 Posts

I had something happen the other week. Got a call from PO about my queens arriving. When I picked them up she would not pick the box up out of the mail carriers box. After getting the package out of the box I told her that I had to open the package before leaving to ensure all my queens were good for insurance. She went in another room while I opened them and never came out until I left.

·
Registered
423 Posts

Weird. I deliver mail on foot. Our office get shipments of queens from Hawaii, usually in the fall, for our county's big commercial beek (6000 hives). He requeens and/or splits before the bees go to holding yards in CA. We just give them a call, as they can come to the office and pick them up before their rural carrier would get there in her jeep. When I first started, I'd deliver queens to a beekeeper with bees in his back yard. We couldn't leave them on the porch if he wasn't home, but he knew when they were due and would almost always be there.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts

At a recent queen delivery, my local post office asked me to open the package at the counter to make sure they were alright. She screamed "Yea" when she saw the queen. I guess each person has there own sensitivity to bees.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts

When I ordered my Russians and they came in I got the same type of phone call from USPS.. Pretty much begging me to come in early and get them as soon as I could.. lol.. When I got there the worker goes to get the package, brings it back holding the very edge of one corner.. Stating that she was extremely "Allergic" to bees.. :) I sorta grinned while she wasn't looking and casually ask what happened when she got stung.. She gave the old line about swelling up.. Some people just don't realize what and actual "Allergic Reaction" from a beesting is.. So needless to say i picked up my package offered to open it and show her what was in it, and she didn't want anything to do with it.. lol.. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts