Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I got some spare 3/4" plywood that is left over from another project. Can I make a hive out of it? Of course paint the outside?
If not I guess I am going to make a heavy beevac for cutouts.
Anyone?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I thought about making a few of those but What says that I cant make a few standard size bodies out of the plywood? Make them the same way you would make them out of soft pine.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
lots of people use 3/4 ply for hive bodies. Paint all exposed ends well as they will soak in water and de-laminate the plys.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I wouldn't use ply. Those Katrina folks that couldn't live in those trailers, remember them? Heard that the ply underlayment was from China and they don't follow industry standards for curing, so the fumes were not good for folks. I suppose if you got it, use it, but I wouldn't go looking for it. Delaminates too.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Sealing the edges is more important than the surface to prevent delamination. I coat the inside and edges with my crock pot old comb concoction of beeswax and propolis. If the moisture can get through that or toxins it would probably kill me putting it together already. I had some fine mahogany plywood when I lived in Japan. Steelply or exterior is better in the US! For covers and solid bottom boards it is unequaled. I changed my edge design to seal and support all four edges.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
99% of my supers are made form plywood, I operate 20-30 hives. Some have been in continuous use since 2001. We live three miles form Lake Michigan along with our sometimes brutal winters. Some need a fresh coat of paint but all are in excellent shape. A deep super is three pounds heavier than solid pine. I can get six deeps and three mediums out of a 4X8 sheet of plywood. Present cost in my area is $16.95 per sheet at the local Lowes. For that kind of savings I can put up with the extra weight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts