Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I can use some year old pollen frames in a new nuc or 3 lb. package of bees? They haven't been frozen.

Is there a way of telling if the pollen is still good?

I suppose if they don't like it they'll just kick it out the front door.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,456 Posts
I was wondering if I can use some year old pollen frames in a new nuc or 3 lb. package of bees? They haven't been frozen.

Is there a way of telling if the pollen is still good?

I suppose if they don't like it they'll just kick it out the front door.
I do it all the time. IF the bees it came from had some type of Disease then be aware the new ones may also get it.
Comb with stores would be a help in most circumstances.

GG

·
Registered
598 Posts
Freezing everything for 48 hours is always a good idea for making sure you don't introduce anything nasty to new hives. If you have a good pollen flow going on, if you give them last year's pollen, they won't take it since they prefer the fresh stuff. In my area the pollen flow NEVER stops so there is always tons of fresh pollen coming into the hive so they never touch the old stuff. Most of the time the bees won't even clear the old pollen out, I have to render my pollen plugged stuff since its useless for my bees.

·
Registered
12,640 Posts
Thanks for the information. Not sure what "gone hard" looks like. Should I try to check with a tooth pick or something like that?
Old pollen in the comb can go very hard, they are like little rocks. The bees struggle to get them out and sometimes they just wax and propolise over the top.

Yes toothpick would be a good test, if you can get the toothpick in it's probably OK.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right now I have a small nuc that could use a little pollen. We are getting cold days and then warm days and back to cold. I don't see much pollen coming in right now- too cold so I'll try one of my frames with pollen and see if it works.
Thanks for the advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts