Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
zone 3 240 colonies
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems to make economical sense to use the honey supers to cover the pails for fall feeding. But they are full of extracted frames. What is a good way to store the frames outside of the supers so the supers can be used to aid in fall feeding?
I am trying to get around having to buy 200-300 supers just for feeding.

·
Registered
zone 3 240 colonies
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Temporary rack to hang frames.
Shouldn't be too difficult to figure out dimensions.
Agreed but rough calculations say I would need over 300 linear feet of racking to hold frames from 300 supers, seems a bit impractical maybe just bite the bullet and purchase 300 extra boxes. I will give it some more thought.

·
Registered
zone 3 240 colonies
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We feed with exposed pails. Why do you wish to cover them?

Crazy Roland
I must say I love this idea to simplify feeding, I see thats how Ian Steppler does it. But I am reluctant to cut holes in my lids, they are polystyrene and that may complicate the process but mostly its the idea of a (possible) leaking hole directly above the cluster that would pester my mind when they are under the snow all winter.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Oldtimer - it gets cold quick in Wisconsin. The bees are more apt to pull from a screened pail over an innercover than to climb all the way up and into your feeder.

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
85 Posts
You could remove your covers and cut pieces of plywood, drill a hole just for feeding.
Put your covers back on after feeding. Plywood would stack nicely to use for next year.

·
Registered
zone 3 240 colonies
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You could remove your covers and cut pieces of plywood, drill a hole just for feeding.
Put your covers back on after feeding. Plywood would stack nicely to use for next year.
Not a bad idea, thank you.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
This is what I have done. Half-inch plywood. 10 "Feeder Tops" per 8' X 4' sheet. Lot cheaper than 300 supers. And a lot easier to store. I suppose it does not solve your leaking fears though.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
My plywood plates became moldy. Organic glue? I discarded them. They were not cheap.
They could have been easily washable and reused.
Bleach and done.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts