Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Using hardware cloth to attach comb to top bars seems like a good method, but will not the galvanizing, or other metal, of the material react with the honey? Or, is the hardware cloth removed after the bees attach the comb, but before any honey is deposited? Is contamination an issue with this method?

My top bar hive is built and ready for bees and comb.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
It doesn't cause any real problem that I have seen, but you can remove it once it is attached. I assume you are talking about this -

·
Registered
306 Posts
Galvanized metal has a lot of zinc. I don't know what long term affects it might have on bees. Last year I was experimenting using galvanized hardware cloth in feeders to give the bees something to climb on. One colony absconded after the second feeding, leaving brood and stores, and I always wondered if it was due to the metal. Of course, it might not have been related at all, but I wasn't willing to take any chances. Have you looked into non-galvanized welded wire?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suppose I could use stainless or plain steel, but given the low pH of honey, it seems like any of it could corrode. For that matter, I suppose a plastic hairclip could have something nasty in the plastic.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
How difficult would it be to remove the hardware cloth after the bee have attached comb to the top bar?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts