Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know if it is alright to overlap the popsicle sticks in the top groove of frame ?

thanks allan

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
o.k. I just didn't know if overlap them would mess up the bees on drawing out the frame

thanks newjoe

·
Registered
652 Posts
to quote Michael Bush " between the lines" aka pretty close from side to side. I put a level across my top cover then put a small shim under one corner to get it right. a 2' level would be pretty cheap at the hardware store.

You figure they are going to hang with gravity straight down from the top.. if your bottom bar isn't right below the top then you're going to get funkyness.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Now how tight do I pack the bars in?

I just rescued some bees and they are drawing comb like crazy. One bar (say 3rd one in out of 8) had two combs being drawn on it. One on one side of the frame and a new section on the other side.

I pulled the small piece off and rubber banded the large piece in. I assume this was because the bars moved around and were spaced oddly.

But if I push them all together I have half a frame width on both sides of them (this is for brood, not honey).

·
Registered
652 Posts
push them tight together into the middle of the box.. the outside will have a bit of space on either side but that is ok. definitely don't want extra space in between them.

yay for rescued bees :) that is how i'm hoping to get some once it warms up around here. so far i've had to live vicariously though my gf's TB hive.

·
Registered
329 Posts
yay for rescued bees :) that is how i'm hoping to get some once it warms up around here. so far i've had to live vicariously though my gf's TB hive.
It wasn't without it's tribulations!

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?294385-First-cut-out-(tree)-should-be-simple

Lots of planning and that was almost all for naught.

I honestly didn't think I had anything but a lot of pissed off queenless bees that were very drone heavy.

They are ACTING queen right now and I THOUGHT I saw a couple of eggs in yesterdays inspection, if so then I should find larva this weekend when I get in there again.

Can't say it hasn't been fun... but man, what a challenge/nightmare. Sure was the hard way to save a hundred bucks. :)

·
Registered
652 Posts
haha i'm hoping to help a local beekeeper do a swarm call or cut out and get them that way. i have baited hives up on my deck too as backup until then. even then i'll leave a baited nuc up there.

at least you have a good story now :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Absolutely!

And it was for a MAJOR development going on in an out skirt town... they are planning on doing a press release and highlighting how they worked with nature to develop the area and will mention our names and pictures of us doing the removal and the colony afterwards.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Next time buy wedge top frames, remove the cleat and just jam it into the groove and call it a day. It'll stay there w/o glue and it's the perfect length.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Next time buy wedge top frames, remove the cleat and just jam it into the groove and call it a day. It'll stay there w/o glue and it's the perfect length.
Thanks JRG13 next time I order frames I will give them a try

·
Registered
329 Posts
What are you guys paying?

All the same from Kelly. .83 cents... If its pennies then it's money well spent vs even the time it took to participate in this thread.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I used the Kelley F frames this year. I used homemade topbars last year in my top bar hive. they draw well off the wedge. I think my wedge was too big in the TBH. The Kelley style looks like it works better.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I just like the wedge top cuz if you have foundation, you can use them just the same, or if you run out of foundation, just use it as a foundationless frame.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What are you guys paying?

All the same from Kelly. .83 cents... If its pennies then it's money well spent vs even the time it took to participate in this thread.
You are right Gilligan I was pricing the assembled and not the unassembled F Style frames

·
Registered
329 Posts
I just like the wedge top cuz if you have foundation, you can use them just the same, or if you run out of foundation, just use it as a foundationless frame.
That's a good point... I'm just in the mindset of never running foundation so I never think of it from that angle.

Just looking to help out Allan, Kelley's website isn't the most intuitive at times.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts