Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just starting my apiary and am having trouble deciding what size of foundation to use. I am starting with two hives and was thinking about using two different size of foundation. Is this a bad idea?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Personally I use one size for everything. When equipment is interchangeable, it makes it much easier to shift things around if a colony needs help.

JMO

Rusty

If the foundation is different i should not swap them between hives (if needed), correct? Is it because the bee's won't draw on different foundation?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Some people think small cell fndn helps control mites.

My comb is all small cell or foundationless, and I've never had mite issues... but I don't know ir=f the SC foundation has anything to do with it, as I've never used large cell.
It may be the genetics expressed in my bees.
Or a combination.
Or something else entirely.

If you use both large and small cell, I wouldn't expect to see small cell benefits b/c there are many large cells present.

Using both sizes is no worse than using all large cell, at any rate.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
If the foundation is different i should not swap them between hives (if needed), correct? Is it because the bee's won't draw on different foundation?
I see from your later posts that you are talking about cell sizes. I have no experience with anything but standard cell sizes. All of the cell sizes within all my hives are the same size. From your original post I thought you were asking about the sizes of the foundation sheets themselves, so I mentioned that I use all deeps-- foundation, frames, and boxes-- so that everything is interchangeable.

I have read--but have no personal experience --that some beekeepers who use small cell, use it only in the brood boxes and use standard foundation in their supers. Again, this would mean that your equipment would not be interchangeable. Brood boxes could only be used for brood and supers could only be used for honey.

HTH

Rusty

1 - 9 of 9 Posts