Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First year beekeeper here.

I’m putting together a 2nd hive body just to have one in case my one hive swarms, and I bought a solid bottom board for this one. I was reading in one place that the bees don’t like to be close to all their waste that falls off, like the wax bits etc. (an advantage of the screened bottom board), but since I have a solid bottom board on this one, I was thinking of doing this:
I have some deep frames with foundation that I’d like to use. Since the bees don’t like to be close to their waste, I thought to use 2 medium boxes and put in the deep frames. The frames will hang over the lower box and have a space underneath which will probably fill with some burr comb, but it would give them some space from the bottom waste and allow me to use the deep frames. What do you think?

Karen SF

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
That usually works just fine. I've done it more than once. It also works to put medium frames into deep supers, there is about the same amount of empty space beneath the frames. The bees usually build comb extensions below the frame Bottom Bars. But, it can get complicated if those extensions are not completely parallel to the Bottom Bars.

·
Registered
629 Posts
This year I ran out of deep frames and used mediums in between the deeps. The bees pulled the whole medium and then built on the bottom of the frame to the same size as the deeps next to it. No burr comb just nice fresh comb.

I would suspect that yours may do the same. But maybe not since they don't have a reference frame next to the frames. Try it and see.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I try to never intentionally have comb cross two boxes. It makes working them unwieldy. If you have foundation in deep frames that you can use, get some 1x4s ripped to 3" wide and build a simple 3" high frame that your medium box can sit on and maybe staple it to the medium box. I've used these make-shift deeps in the past.

I've never heard the idea that bees don't like to build comb near "waste," and I suspect none of my bees have either. I've used lots of medium frames in deep boxes and the bees always build comb on the bottom of the frame down close to the bottom board, same as jbraun's bees.

Wayne.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Bees are great house keepers, they carry any waste out of the hive.

Solid bottom boards are fine, nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Since you are just using it as a swarm trap/lure, go for it. Swarms like the feel of "space" when moving into a new home. I usually only put a few frames into a lure/trap for that very reason. If you indeed get a swarm, I would set it up properly...IE medium frames for medium boxes, deep frames for deeps, or you may end up with a mess. For a swarm lure, perfect. ps...I have never heard the "bottom waste" thing...I run all solid boards, and the housekeeping bees seem to do a wonderful job.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
53,986 Posts
The only reason I would put deeps in two medium boxes is if I was trying to transition between a five frame deep nuc and all medium boxes. Otherwise you're just causing problems that you will have to deal with when you don't need to.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Depend on your goals. Last year, I did the opposite, and put a few medium frames in deep boxes, and got nicely drawn drone comb below the bottom bar that was easy to scrape off as mite control (and get the mediums drawn for use in supers). As stated above, I've also built shims, out of 1x's that fit under the medium to use deep frames in a medium box in a pinch. Sometimes it take us beginners a while to accumulate enough equipment.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The only reason I would put deeps in two medium boxes is if I was trying to transition between a five frame deep nuc and all medium boxes. Otherwise you're just causing problems that you will have to deal with when you don't need to.
When doing this, how do you transition off of the deep frames or are you stuck forever with 5 deep frames in your double mediums?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
53,986 Posts
When you find the deep frames full of honey, you can harvest them and replace with two mediums. If you are down to one or two deeps that have brood in them, you can always cut the combs and rubber band into frames if you are tired of the deeps...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts