Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my first harvest of mandarin oranges from my tree and I want to make mead with it. I have a couple of questions, but everything I find about cuties/oranges is for JAOM. First off, do I need to peel them? I know pith is supposed to add a bitterness to mead, but mandarins have almost no pith compared to oranges. If they do need to be peeled, how much zest should I add with the fruit? Secondly, I am assuming that with citrus I probably need to to add it to the secondary, but if I go the no peels route I was wondering if zest should go in the primary or in the secondary with the fruit.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I think for the first try, I would follow as closely as I could the JOAM recipe, as it is proven.

I would not includethe zest, but then I hate marmalade, so I might not be the guy to ask.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used JAOM once, many years ago, but I have only tried oranges or mandarins once since then. I made a 10 gallon batch two years ago (mandarin orange spice), but it wasn't just bad, it was undrinkable. Still is after two years of aging. I did use SNA with it, so I figure if it's been 2 years despite that, it will never be good. I really want to try it again, especially since we now have the trees, but I can't find any information or recipes for orange that aren't JAOM.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Made a gallon of orange cinnamon a year ago and didn't notice any off taste. Had a mead Tasting with four other couples and meads were all well received. Peel was left on and orange was spiralled and place in primary fermentor.

Presently have a 3 gallon batch that is nearing end of fermenting. I cut oranges in 1/8 wedges with peel on and placed in primary fermentor. No off taste from either taste sample.

Recipe is in post #4 in Wine Making Forum and titled Mead Recipe. I Omitted the cloves.

I have never tried placing the fruit in the secondary fermentor, however, what I have read, it should make little difference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts