Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some research on escapes and built a "vortex" type a bit more complex than the double triangle ones. From what I understand, you take off the super(s) put on the escape (screen down, hole up) and then restack.

Question, Why not put the escape on a bottom board alonside the hive being worked, stack on the supers, put on a screen top and a proped up cover. Will the bees not exit and return to there hive :scratch:

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
If your queen is above where does she go? If you use excluders why even use the escape? Just stack the supers in the yard and let the bees fly out. If there is a dearth then you will have robbing problems.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Raosmun,

You are correct and it works fine as long as the top is sealed and will not let bees in.
If the queen were up in the supers that could be a problem.
However I would never stack em in the yard unprotected. There are too many robbers around here.

·
Registered
323 Posts

Thanks!! Now what if I place a super on the bottom board then the escape then the honey supers? I have a screened top that I use for dusting with powered sugar and use with a propped up cover:s

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
My understanding is the bees will follow down through the escape boards either on their way back out to forage or to touch the queen. If you stack the supers beside the hive, it probably would work, but I bet you will have trouble if you run into weather.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Where I live we have nights at the end of July that go down into the low 50's. I sometimes take the supers off after sunset and lean them up against the mother hive. In the early morning I go out and get the super of honey that now does not have any bees.

I found that this doesn't work too good with warm nights. You have to be on the lookout for robbing. That is why I take them off after sunset but before dark. If the flow is still going, you can take it off earlier.

If you didn't use an excluder and there is brood in the super the bees won't leave no matter how cold it gets.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I put my escape on a few days ago and I'm using the triangle one like you mention and what I did was place it between the super I wanted to harvest (top one) and the super below it (somewhat empty). Within a day or so, it was pretty empty of bees. With the triangle down and the hole up, they can get out normally, but it's more difficult to go through the small openings to go up.

The bees that were left seemed to be "watch bees" or something because they were quite irritated.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
I have been leaving my boards on for about a day and a half.
About 95% of the bees are gone. Not any different than if I were pulling any other way.
I collect the rest in the Honey House

1 - 8 of 8 Posts