Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I take a strong 5 frame queen right nuc and put a queen excluder on it, then another deep super with an entrance hole drilled in it. Face it opposite from the bottom entrance and then place fames and a virgin in the top box. The top box will be a mating nuc but using the bottom colony to help establish it. Will this work or will they kill the virgin in the top box.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I am not saying it will not work. It may. However, I would suggest 2 variations. One option is to separate by a double screen board or Snelgrove board, instead of a QE, where the scent can pass between the boxes, but the bees cannot. A virgin will definitely get mated over that. The second option, which will require more equipment, is to place a QE over the nuc. Then super the nuc and place a second QE on top of the super. Then put your virgin with new support staff in a box above the second QE. This is basically a hybrid of the Demaree Method, but uses a second QE.

Or do it your way and lay a piece of window screen or #8 hardware cloth on top of your QE to prevent bees from passing through the QE.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Psm1212: Thanks for the reply. I understand you method,and guess I did not explain my idea to good. But in my idea I was trying to use the 5 frame nuc on bottom for support staff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts