Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Vendor
5,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read somewhere on BS that this was disaster, but this was only one report......

Will anyone with experience doing this reply?

Thanks!

Larry

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
Disaster? Hardly, but it does make it a bit more difficult getting the last box off if the conditions aren't good.

·
Vendor
5,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I say disaster, because that's what the poster basically wrote as there were so many bees trying to crowd down thru the excluder at the same time that many died.....

I'll see if I can find the post.......

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I believe the post in question was a few days ago, regarding bee escapes, not excluders, in a thread about 'useless gadgets'.

To each his own I guess, it was a response to something I posted, about having tried the fume board with bee escape as an experiment a couple weeks back, for the first time. Worked well enough for me, I'll use them again when I'm in a situation where I want / need the bees out of a super in a hurry. Then again, I cant help but wonder if not all escapes are created equal. I used a large triangle board escape, but certainly can see it being a bit of a problem with the little plastic ones that fit in the hole of an inner cover.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Yes, there was a post on this not too long ago. I think that the consensus was that it was operator error and had little or nothing to due with the QE + fume board combo. I only have one season using fume boards, and had zero problems with the QEs in place. The only disappointment I had is that I should have started using fume boards 10 years ago!!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Although I do find excluders a challenge to remove the last box, i cant imagine using fume boards without an excluder. Any brood in the top boxes grinds bee movement to a halt. It would be a waste of time without excluders.
Luke

·
Registered
723 Posts
Do it with fume boards and excluders every year. Never had a problem. By problem, I mean an extra minute or two on the closers super to the excluder never bothers me. Also, if you'll learn to use a shim top entrance on top of your excluder, you'll definitely never have a problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts