Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you use a double screen board for splits? E.g., make sure there is brood in the box on top and the existing queen is in the box on the bottom, insert caged queen into the top box, release her when appropriate, and get a split that way? Can you have multiples (e.g., maybe 4) queens in the same hive this way, using double screen boards to keep them separate, then move each colony to their own box later when they are established?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Here's what I don't understand about the use of double screens:

If you're using a Snelgrove/double screen, you're getting the "smell" of the hive, i.e. it's queenright. *Why* would the workers above the screen want to accept a new queen when they think they already have one? Why wouldn't you just go ahead and move the box to its own bottom board before putting in the new queen?

One of the better local beeks here uses the Snelgrove during the honey flow by moving capped worker frames above the board and opening the entrances. The workers never know another entrance, and he gets tons of honey that way. But he removes the board once the flow is over so the hive still has all available workers when they gather nectar for themselves.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That looks good. Do you know where to buy an assembled double screen board for an 8 frame hive?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Logan, are your box dimensions Lang standard? 19 7/8 x 16 1/4? I was under the impression that 8-frames were standard size, with only the frame spacing making the difference.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Logan, are your box dimensions Lang standard? 19 7/8 x 16 1/4? I was under the impression that 8-frames were standard size, with only the frame spacing making the difference.
The 8 frame box isn't as wide. It is still 19 7/8 long (so the frames are interchangeable with 10 frame equipment), but it is only 13 3/4 inch wide (external). The frames are the same, but you fit fewer of them in the box.

You can if you want shave a bit off each frame and run 9 frames in an 8 frame box or 11 frames in a 10 frame box. Michael Bush's website has good info on this. I'm planning on trying this myself, but that is a horse of a different color.

Any leads on a supplier for a double-screened board for 8 frame?

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
8 Frame double screen divider boards.
Here's a suggestion:
I make mine out of plywood.
Nail onto the plywood 3 bee space cleats and an entrance reducer.
Cut 5 holes in the plywood with a circle saw.
I use a 2" hole saw
Cut the holes in the same pattern as the # 5 on a set of dice.
Staple 2 pieces of # 8 hardware cloth/screen, one for each side of the plywood. You will need 10 pieces of the cloth.
( any scrap plywood will work for the split board.)
The queen leaves a scent trail on the combs when she walks over them. No queen = no scent trail.
I have 50 of these split boards in storage that were made out of 3/8" plywood.
Good luck,
Ernie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts