Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible? Right now I'm using 1x2 boards for the top bars, but they measure 1 1/2" wide. So far this doesnt seem to be causing issues but who knows. I cant afford a table saw to start ripping boards to the proper width but I'm thinking maybe a block plane will work for this. Thoughts?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I use on old skill saw mounted underneath a sheet of plywood. It is not so much about saving money as it is saving shed-space.

IMAG0271.jpg

·
Registered
145 Posts
I turned those 2 x 6 s from the previous photo into these. IMAG0273.jpg

I still have some more work to do since I make frames for my "top-bar".

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had the same problem. I ended up buying a 70$ craigs list table saw. I'd live to hear about alternatives though.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
A block plane will work fine. Better is something like a #4 Stanley since it is larger, but a block plane will work.

Unfortunately, it's not going to save you any money since you will have to buy sharpening stones (unless you already have them), even in pine the blade will dull and then you will REALLY be working hard!

Inexpensive table saws turn up on Craig's List all the time, even a cruddy one will work for this job.

You do need to reduce the width of the top bars.

Peter

·
Registered
145 Posts
Needo, can you post a pic of underneath the setup?
IMAG0276.jpg

On the back, you will want a notch that the base fits into. This can be accomplished with flat shims. It is better to use a router. I also had to chisel out a notch for the handle to lay down against the back board.

I saw a video where some person in Israel converted a Skill Saw into a table saw. He put legs on his. Since I was more concerned about space I just made a top that I set on cinder blocks. Eventually I will make a box with a switch and outlet on it so I can turn the saw on and off with the flick of a switch, while still on the ground. Currently I use the buttons on the safety outlets to turn the saw on and off. Initially, I just plugged in the chord and unplugged it. This was burning my plugs on the saw.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts