Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any practical uses for slum gum like for use in a garden? Where can I send it to to get processed and is it cost effective?

Kingfisher

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Now that's a good idea. I normally put it above the hive and let them pick through it, drop it in the solar wax melter and get a little wax off of it then throw away the rest. I may just heat it up and smear it in some new nuc traps to get that "used" smell.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
I have melted a couple batches in the crock pot. It is dangerous but mineral spirits cuts the wax and propolis out and lets the debris settle. I do all my plywood pieces to seal any adhesives that are in the plywood and exclude moisture from warping it. The pheremones remain so this treatment still attracts bees. I painted the entire inside of a nuc. Makes a great bait hive! It is the propolis I want more than the wax.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
How do you seperate the wax from the propolis by heating?

Also, is there a way to heat and strain propolis to remove the paint and wood scrappings? Have a collection of propolis but wouldn't be able to sell it unless I can clean it up.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Separate out the wax in a press, and then compost for a year. I suspect it is high in protein(silk from cocoons), so mix in some sawdust or other carbon source. It seems to work well.

Roland

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I like to heat it up in a pan with wood shavings and then add to a cardboard egg carton. The egg carton can then be torn into pieces for fire starters. My son and I timed one at about 8 minutes of burn. These are really great for camping and can get a stubborn fire going.

·
Registered
206 Posts
HVH, I make firestarters similar to yours for our woodstove. I take those small waxed paper dixie cups and fill it with cheap potpouri and fill it with melted wax. Works great!! It has a 15 minute burn time and they are so easy to light b/c you just light some of the potpouri sticking out of the top.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My major frustration is that I cannot get all the wax out of the dark comb. To put it another way my slumgum is very pliable. Is this a time thing w/ the melter?
Kingfisher

1 - 14 of 14 Posts