Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been given 8 used deep suppers, they need paint but look to be sturdy and relatively clean. They haven't been in use for years. It got to be too much work for the older gentleman who had them. He says he never had any diseases but hes older and has some early onset memory loss.

Just wondering if i should/can clean/sanitize them in case and if so what the best method is.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I'd slap some paint on there and drop them on some bees. I'd probably keep them on 2 or three hives just to see if there's an adverse reaction of any form. They will clean them up into a useable condition if they don't like what they see.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I would scorch the insides with a propane torch and then use them. Don't take chances with AFB.
Scorching the insides of the super body it would kill any possible diseases. However, this leaves the frames alone to pass on those very diseases too. You can't easily treat frames though. If you're going to scorch the super bodies to avoid disease you're best to throwing away the frames and start with new frames as well.

If you're tossing the drawn super frames, your tossing possibly the most valuable portion of what you've been given. There is risk that you will be passing on diseases but there is also reward that you have already 8 already drawn supers ready for honey. It's all on what what your risk tolerance is.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i wasn't given any frames, just the super bodies so no worries there.

I got 8 super bodies, the extractor, an uncapping knife, and electric uncapping knife, a smoker, a frame puller, one old frame with the wires in it (more as a piece of history since i am all plastic foundation). If they come across the old boards and tops as well as an old roller used to imprint the wax foundation they are going to call me.

All for honey for the old fellow. I tried to give them cash and they would have none of it. I offered to pay them and give them honey atleast 6 times through the conversation.

Even was offered to use their land as an outyard and i think i will take them up on that offer as its close to home but not too close and is just a minute or so off the higway.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I totally missed that detail... Scorch them and move on. Cool find and nice the get a nearby outyard as well. You made out like a bandit in many ways.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, i know, verry lucky to have found it. Still wish they would have taken some cash.

when you scortch them, how deep or how dark.. do you actually want the wood burnt or just toasted LOL

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Toasted, no flaming wood if you can avoid it but get the propolis bubbling at the least.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so should the resulting product look black, dark brown, light brown.....

Also wondering if this will get eth bees worked up.. i would think that it would make a hive smell like smoke all the time.. wouldn't they constantly think the hive is on fire?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
You don't have to charcoal the wood! Just heat the inside up to a high enough temp to kill any AFB spores. If you're melting wax and propolis that's probably good enough.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts