Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys Im still trying to get everything that I need, and I hope to be able to get 1 or 2 nucs next month. I found someone who doesnt beekeep anymore and he has 3 deeps with bottom boards 3 inner covers, and telescoping tops. 1 medium super, and a couple more deeps. Several frames with the plastic foundation. Prob 15-20 unassembled new frames. a jacket, and extra veil, gloves and 2 or 3 queen excluders. He wants $100 for all of it does this sound like a good deal or do I just need to bite the bullet and get new stuff?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can see on some of the wood where there were wax moths but it doesnt look like its in bad shape.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You have to trust the seller, or see the comb of the brood chamber if there is sunken capped brood and it smells horrible then I wouldn't buy it. Ask questions of the seller find out if he lost the bees to mites, SHB, etc. if there is a stink or if you feel he is being shady pass it up. by the way Mites and SHB shouldn't be a problem on the used equipment unless the dead outs are really fresh I'd personally put the used equipment in a freezer for at least 24 hours anyway.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What is he treating with teramyacin? If he has AFB he should of gotten it inspected by the state and the equipment should have been burned and buried on sight. Again just my opinion.

·
Registered
158 Posts
10 parts water to 1 part bleach (10% solution) is used by many medical pro's to disinfect. Should be plenty strong enough for your purposes inside hive bodies and supers. Suggest rubber gloves and old clothes, outdoors of course.

Personally, I would put fresh plastic in everything and burn old stuff just in case.

If you feel the need, you can dip frames in 5 gal bucket full of that bleach water.

The price is good IF the equipment is good. Adjust price accordingly.

·
Registered
60 Posts
there is no way to kill AFB spores except fire or radiation. the spores last as far as we know forever.
That is not true. Bleach will kill AFB spores if its concentrated enough and is in contact long enough. The problem with bleach is it only kills spores it can reach and I wouldn't put much faith in it to penetrate beeswax or honey or propolis, etc...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys.. I thought about cleaning the stuff with bleach, I just didnt know if that would be safe for the bees (whenever I get them) I went ahead and bought everything so I guess I'll get to cleaning it all up this weekend.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Now I too am curious as to why previous owner got out of bees.

Always some risks with used. These suggestions are ways to minimize those risks.

What did u decide about the combs/plastic?

Hope it turns out to be as good of a deal as it sounded.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts