Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Langstroth hives. As many as I can.
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone has two poly hives that have been empty in his field for three years and told me to take them. He is not sure why his colonies died but he was a beginner. While I am wary of used equipment, does the fact that they are polystyrene help me at all. Mostly in regards to sanitizing with a bleach solution. AFB and wood bodies I wouldn’t trust. Any thoughts and concerns? I only plan to use the bodies by the way. No frames or foundation.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
no, poly hives are better than wooden ones. Wash it off with some bleach.

·
Registered
7,524 Posts
I only plan to use the bodies by the way. No frames or foundation.
Why not?
They are polluted the same as the bodies (potentially, not for a fact) - you clean them the same way.

·
Registered
7,524 Posts
AFB and wood bodies I wouldn’t trust
What is there to NOT trust?
You can scorch wood - try that on the poly. LOL

Just as well you can soak wood in bleach if prefer.

If anything to avoid - used wood bodies of about 30-50 year old production (the real AFB era).
It is true that poly is much less likely to contain AFB spore, just being a new tech.

·
Registered
Langstroth hives. As many as I can.
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had been under the impression that wood needed to be irradiated to be considered safe or else burned. Maybe just a paranoid stance.
I think I’ll take these boxes and give them a few good bleach cleanings over the winter. Put them into use next year. Hope this isn’t an incredibly harsh lesson in the making.
Thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts