Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to use some paraffin to seal the interiors of hive-top feeders I've been building...

There were a number of suggestions concerning my project and opinions that firetrucks and divorce lawyers could be involved before the feeders were properly coated.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235809

... anyway it ended up being completely boring.

What is neat is that a Rice Cooker seems to be a very effective and safe way to melt small quantities of wax.

I don't know at what temperature the cooker shut off at, but it turned itself off shortly after two thermometers maxed out above 220F.

It was real handy to simply push down on the switch occasionally to keep the wax nice and hot. This looks like it could be perfect when using a wax tube fastener.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Looks like you've solved both the problem of melting small quantities of wax and also the problem of sticky rice. Should put a nice wax coating on each grain as it cooks.

Wayne

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For anyone concerned about the trace amounts of paraffin that may reside in the scratches of the pan, rest assured that your chocolate Easter Bunny and glazed/dipped Christmas chocolates contain plenty of paraffin.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts