Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just got the first trailer load of hive bodys, supers, covers and all that. Interesting thing, I have 30 covers, and about 5 bottom boards. *chuckles* I like the way he put togeather the bottom boards he made, and, plan to use a veriant of that when I start going with upper entrances. Basicly, just cut a big hole in the bottom board, and use it as the shim. I defanatly have a lot of work cut out for me, a lot of old wax to render, because the comb is damaged in some way or other. A lot of it is just, well, melted. Got to hot or something and it all went running twords the ground. So, going to rig up a wax melter, ment down whats unusable, and see whats left. Gotta make a trip to Dadant to pick up some of that para moth stuff to keep the moths outa the supers with good comb.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Grodeman:

Paramoth is plain old moth balls or moth crystals.

If you are in a hurry go down to the nearest dollar store and buy moth balls. I prefer them to the crystals because it is easier to keep them out of the wax. Don't let the stuff touch wax, and don't put it in a super with honey as the honey will pick up the taste. If you let moth crystals get into honeycomb it is just about ruined for honey production.
Ox

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Moth balls was the alternative, if I could not get the other stuff. Nice to know its the same thing. Lot cheeper to buy moth balls than the stuff from Dadant. Basicly, a lot of the comb is shot, plane and simple. There is some good drawn come, and that I want to try and save. Give the bees a break next spring sorta thing. I expect I will end up with 30-40 supers with good comb, and 5-10 hive bodys with good comb in them. Where I can I am saving the wax. I plan to try foundationless frames when I get some packages in the spring, and giving them a little starter helps them out. For the supers, I will have to buy foundation when I have all the ones with good comb in use. No problem there though. Lots of cleaning to do. And this is the stuff that was stored in the barn! Just wait tell I get the stuff that was just left out in the yard.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,094 Posts
There are two kinds of moth balls. One is Napthalene which is not approved by the FDA for control of wax moths in combs and is dangerous to bees and people.

The other is Paradichlorobenzene which IS approved for control fo wax moths in combs but is less dangerous to bees and people.

IF you want to use moth balls buy the Paradichlorobenzene kind.

But I'd use the Certan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts