Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I have read that a 10% bleach solution wash and a fresh coat of paint is all you need for the box and new foundation for the frames after the same wash. I would leave the stuff out in the sun to evaporate any bleach caught in nooks and crannies.

·
Registered
706 Posts
the best advice I can give is Read the book Natural Beekeepin by Ross Conrad he warns heavely against used equitment. but if you do buy used use a weed burner in the inside of the hive toast it. and you might get rid of problems.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I scorch any used wooden-ware I pick up with a propane weed burner from Northern Equipment that I bought years ago. Frames, I don't even bring them home.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
While there is a small risk, my opinion is that it is a great way to pick up equipment. I have probably $8000.00 worth of equipment I have gotten from old timers who gave up beekeeping years before and spent less than $750 for most of it. I am always running across deals this way. But again ther is potential risk as with most things in life.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
yem, if you know and trust the beekeeper who last had your equipment and that beekeeper says that that equipment hasn't had AFB in it, I would just go ahead and put bees in it and not worry about washing it. I have purchased equipment a number of times from a number of sources and have never washed anything.

I think that we can worry too much about some things. But go ahead if it will help you sleep at night.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Remember the old saying: "Trust, but verify." Life has fewer problems that way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts