Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up some used top feeders and wanted to know if I'm cleaning them up right. They are the Mann Lake 4.5 gallon feeders that I picked up reasonably which are the same type I used last spring with good success. They had some black mold and dead bees along with the concern of other potential diseases, I took them to my garage (not the same property as my hives), sprayed them down with 50-50 bleach-water and after a while sprayed them down and removed the HDPE tanks and screens. I rinsed out the tanks with hot soapy water and removes any burr comb but the wood supers still had a little black mold staining. I left them at the garage for a week or so and brought them home and sanded down the inside and out, removing (almost) all of the black mold stains remaining. I also threw away the screens after measuring them as I had earlier bought a 50 ft role of No 8 HW cloth for another hive project. There was a heck of a lot of paint on the outside but I did take it down a good deal with wood exposed now. Question is should I finish them with a wood bleach or am I showing I have too much time on my hands and overthinking?

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,808 Posts
What Vance said, and yes, you have waaaaay too much time on your hands. After all that work, are you sure you would not have been better off buying new?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts