Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, in getting into my beekeeping adventures I bought used equipment. Yes, yes. I know. Roll of the dice. The first two deeps we got were fine though. They had been sitting for two years in a barn where the fellow had put them away due to his 9 hives dying out while he was on vacation due to assumed tracheal mites. He had put the hive moth crystals on them, and there didn't seem to be too much damage.

I installed two packages in each deep, and so far everyone seems pretty happy.

Now, of course, our nectar flow is on hard and heavy, and so I went back for the second deeps, knowing that I will be having to toss them on here soon. The fellow couldn't meet me this time, so instead he pulled two boxes out for me, and left them beside of the barn.

I checked through the frames as always before loading them up (don't need a wolf spider riding shotgun, after all) and started frowning at the heavy and seemingly full frames within. Was this honey? It certainly didn't quite look like honey. Plus most of it was a reddish brown color and leaking where it had cracked open from my manipulations. I took them home where I could do a more careful inspection, and while there is a tiny bit of waxmoth damage, there really doesn't seem to be an awful lot.

My question and wonder is this...

When I scrape those capped cells, they are full of small round things. They don't quite look like eggs, but yet they do at the same token. They don't match up to the SHB egg pictures I have found either. But the honey, or mystery liquid, inside of most of them is dark colored, and does not totally smell yeasty. So I am not 100% sure its fermented...whatever it is.

What in the world should I do?? Give it to the bees and let them clean it up? I am pretty darned sure that whatever WAS in there is long dead, because otherwise I would be seeing a lot more than that. I don't want to put undue stress on the new gals though, either.

Thanks for any input, and I will put pictures up tomorrow morning when its light out if that would be helpful. :)

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
if in doubt, cut it out and render it for the wax and give them new wax foundation. good luck,mike

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
I know. Roll of the dice.
The answer is in your first paragraph. Everyone has their own level of risk they will tolerate. You need to figure out what yours is and make a choice you're comfortable with.

Personally, getting used frames from someone else's dead-out ... :scratch: .... I would not take any chances and would burn the frames and start over. New frames are pretty cheap and to me it's not worth losing sleep over. Everyone will have their own approach to this, mine is very conservative. Best of luck whatever you decide.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He said he was on vacation for about three weeks, and when he got back each hive had a pile of dead bees in front of it and the rest were just gone. The inspector came out, and told him that he believed it was tracheal mites. Seems awful fast for me, which is why I am wondering if he just had a pest explosion while he was gone, what with this possible SHB evidence and whatnot.

From what I learned from our last bee meeting, the suckers can lay a zillion eggs every three days, so in two to three weeks, if your hive was already weak that could be pretty catastrophic. Particularly if the rest of the bees just say "heck with this real estate!" and leave.

I am wondering if I should just cut out the yucky stuff, and let them build on the empty frames. I don't have a problem with natural comb, and to be honest I have heard its hard to get foundation back into frames. Maybe I am wrong though!

Thanks for all the responses so far!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Before you decide anything, post up your pictures and let the experts tell you what it looks like. :) I have never witnessed shb damage, so I'm in the dark.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
When I scrape those capped cells, they are full of small round things. They don't quite look like eggs, but yet they do at the same token. They don't match up to the SHB egg pictures I have found either. But the honey, or mystery liquid, inside of most of them is dark colored, and does not totally smell yeasty. So I am not 100% sure its fermented...whatever it is.
Are you seeing sugar crystals in honey? Are they hard? I wouldn't describe them as exactly round, but I have kept honey supers over winter and extracted the next summer to find crystals in the cells.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited by Moderator)
I was actually just outside, and looking really close in the good sunlight at those dark liquid cells. Scraping them open and getting right up into them so I could see what was what. And I was starting to wonder if they were what you just suggested, sugar crystals.

I can't smell any fermentation, and even though the honey is VERY dark, it still tasted like honey to me. (yes, I was brave enough to put some on my tongue!) A little bitterish, but still honey.

I finished cleaning everything up, and my plan is to take two of the absolutely full, dark honey frames over to my beeyard and set them down in front of the hives. See what the bees do. If they are all over them, and all seems well after a day or so, I will put the others on. If they ignore them or whatever I will get new frames.

Good plan? Maybe?

Edit: Heres the pictures, as promised:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa316/Allipoe/april10007.jpg
The frames, from far off.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa316/Allipoe/april10018.jpg
This is a bit blurry, but thats a corner I dug out, and the granule/egg/crystal thingies

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa316/Allipoe/april10019.jpg
Another spot I dug out, its hard to see, but the thingies are there too.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa316/Allipoe/april10021.jpg
Heres a shot that one can see the color of the honey/liquid on the porch boards and the frame.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236867

1 - 9 of 9 Posts