What are you hoping to find or hoping not to find? What can be told from dead bees? Any time I have sent samples to Beltsville the bees had to be alive prior to taking the sample. I don't think that they can disect dead bees and tell you anything about the nosema count or the varroa count. But if they can, I'd be interested in hearing so.I sent a sample of bees from a dead hive to Beltsville about two weeks ago. When can I expect to hear the results of their testing?
Yes, I had this exact situation a few years ago and all the comb has since been used in multiple colonies.If my new packages have been treated for nosema, can I use the remaining comb and honey from the dead hive?
We sent dead bees to Beltsville in 2008. Some had counts of 40 -50 million spores. When examining bees for nosema, they smash them up, add water and presto!I don't think that they can dissect dead bees and tell you anything about the nosema count or the varroa count. But if they can, I'd be interested in hearing so.
How high is very high? Jerry Bromenshenk wrote, over on Bee-L:The nosema sp. count was very high. I had not treated for the disease, trying not to add medications to the hive, but will treat this year.
If my new packages have been treated for nosema, can I use the remaining comb and honey from the dead hive?
In fact, I cited work from Germany which seems to indicate that nosema is not really a serious problem for bees there, despite high spore counts. I would avoid fumagillin, as it is a potent antibiotic and may have negative effects on your bees' microflora, aside from possibly being a waste of money.As per high Nosema spore counts - I've now seen bees with huge spore
counts, confirmed by PCR to be N. ceranae, and the colonies look good - from
Hawaii and scattered locations in the midwest and southern states of the
Oof! Those were some sick puppies! Further info on nosema seems to indicate that UV light or sunlight will work, but the combs have to be placed so the light goes down into the cells...The report stated that there was an average of 57,000,000 spores per bee, and 21 mites were detected in the sample.