Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
Despite my distaste of your selection of equipment(we run a single deep brood chamber), I would suggest you find the queen, temporarily cage her, move all of the brood and bees except one frame with eggs to a new hive in the yard. The old queen will be left with the field bees and one frame of eggs. The new hive will make a new queen. Both will be less apt to swarm.

Crazy Roland, 5 th gen beekeeper

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
Yes, we winter in a single deep, with an empty deep below(no food), for dead air space.I get removed in the spring, and only one deep is used for the queen, with deeps above the excluder for honey

If you have a helper, hand the frame with the queen on it to the helper. THEY MUST KEEP AN EYE ON THE QUEEN. That frame should have eggs on it. Move EVERYTHING (except the frame with the queen) to a new spot. Add empty equipment to make a hive that looks JUST LIKE THE ORIGINAL, in the original spot. Place the queen in the hive in the original spot. Best done on a good flight day, with in coming nectar. The field bees will be in one hive with the old queen, the other hive will be populated with the brood as it hatches, and will make a new queen. In the mean time, you have removed most of the mites from the first hive, and with the brood break in the new hive, gotten them out of hiding.

Crazy Roland

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.