Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. My hives 17 came through winter with 2 deeps and a medium. Most only consumed 6 to 12 deep frames of honey or so. I fed nothing in the fall, winter, or spring. Now am concerned about the lack of room as they brood up. I tried to organize the nests in the center of the hives. Waiting till dandelions to reverse boxes and add supers. I really dont feel like tearing frames out and spinning what are my options? Most my supers are built out so they wont need wax honey. How many frames per box do you typically leave? I typically move the medium from the bottom in the fall to the top so they have pollen and honey from their spring build up. Ill now move it back down to middle and then on the seccond reversal to the bottom.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
This is what I'd do. Control varroa as top priority. Scrape the bottom boards down. Take a nap and come back when the dandelions bloom.
sounds good. well depending on where in NY you live, I do either 3 deep or 2 deep and 1 med, and stacked nuc boxes. Some of my best yards are running on empty, found one nuc yesterday that would have been dead by today, the bees on top were hardly moving, took the nuc apart they had 0 honey and were removing brood. that nuc had 50 lbs of honey 45 days ago when I treated them, there have been days when the bees could get pollen, but no nectar, loaded with bees, light on stores, going to be a good year. In boardrida20 case I would pull full frames in the top brood chamber, replace with drawn comb, and dump on a couple of honey supers in my area, at some point something is going to bloom.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts