Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Potential for an elm comeback?

Bees here have stopped the dry pollen sub but are still doing a number on the Ultrabee patties in the hives. The 1# patties I put in the hives on March 1st were all but gone yesterday when I checked. And there is no shortage of fresh pollen coming in. Saw a lot of comb packed with pollen (and brood!)
Maybe my grandkids can enjoy the elm comeback :) Good news on your bee’s, I missed the great day on Monday to take a look (had a meniscus repair) but hopefully tomorrow I can get in there.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
the last three yards I went in to treat for mites, the queens are laying drone brood between the boxes, really to early for that. My hives went into winter extremely heavy, they are the lightest coming out of winter ever, two 3 deep hives were panicking, took them apart and there was not an ounce of honey in them, moving honey in a light rain is always fun.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Pollen is being collected by a colony in Springfield, Mass owned by a friend, first year beek, whom I try to mentor. Very early. Light green. Probably pussy willows.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Western NY here. Second day hitting 50 degrees and both saw the girls packing pollen away. Looks like soft maples have popped. But it's hard to say what they're bringing in around me, since I'm surrounded by miles of forest and swamp.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Here in SE Michigan 6a I see lots of pollen coming in, but looks like only silver maple are flowering so far

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'll still check tomorrow but I should have pollen in a week here. I'm up in the mountain-y area. Getting excited now. But I don't trust spring to really be here till April 20.

·
Registered
55 Posts
We also saw lots of grey and yellow pollen coming in. interesting enough, one hive was bringing in mostly Greg pollen, the other the yellow. We thought the grey was from maple (but I don’t see any blooming) and the yellow from coltsfoot. We saw the coltsfoot blooming.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
First Popple pollen today. And the forecast looks like they may get more.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Looked today again. Some hives are getting pretty light. Had to swap some honey frames around.
They are all bringing in nectar and pollen though so should be ok .

21 - 34 of 34 Posts