Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a thorough review of my hives recently, frame by frame, and noticed that in one top super there were a number of bees upside down in the cells. I have heard that could be a sign of starvation but, even though there was only drawn comb in that super, there was plenty of stored honey both capped and uncapped in the other super. I watched them for awhile and they were down in the cell pretty good. The hive looked healthy enough. I have not observed them for very long before so I am a bit ignorant of their comb drawing habits. I am assuming that they were drawing comb. Any other thoughts?

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean when you say the bees are upside down. Many dead bees headfirst into empty cells is a sign of starvation, but headfirst into empty cells is not being upside down.

Are you talking about festooning, when a clump of bees hang in an open space? This is how bees cluster when they are drawing comb. They aren't really upside down for this either though.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Any of the reasons Joseph mentioned. I have observed this behavior from an observation hive at times they can spend a long time doing such chores.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not sure what you mean when you say the bees are upside down. Many dead bees headfirst into empty cells is a sign of starvation, but headfirst into empty cells is not being upside down.

Are you talking about festooning, when a clump of bees hang in an open space? This is how bees cluster when they are drawing comb. They aren't really upside down for this either though.
When I say they are upside down, I am talking about head first into cells, but they are not dead...they are apparently "doing something". So...I didn't know if they were making wax, doing chores, etc. They had frames of capped and uncapped honey in the super below, so I wondered what else could be going on. (I have a deep brood box, and two medium supers on the hive. It was in the upper super where there was not much going on except some drawn comb.) So, I assumed that was what they were doing, but didn't know for sure. Still new at this. :s

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.