Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend at work was one of the people that had their packages sprayed by a UPS worker. This past week the replacement packages were shipped. On Friday, UPS "lost" the packages in route. Now they say the packages were damaged in transit and subsequently destroyed. I told him to cancel and get his money back. Our flow is about done. We'll help him get started with some nucs instead.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I wonder if some of these incidents might not be due to improperly closed or constructed package cages. Bees get out of one or two, workers get scared of all the free bees flying and crawling around so they spray the entire load.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
When I found my UPS overnight packages sans syrup, the explanation was that UPS strictly forbid it (as their handling techniques resulted in too many sticky messes). That led me to ponder how many marshmallows (the new "substitute") = 1 qt of syrup - about 2 lbs :scratch: ?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
For some strange reason I see package bee business taking a turn for the worse lately. I have a funny feeling the only people getting packages will be the ones that are either buying from big box stores, or the mom n pop that don't care to drive and get them.

This year was one of the worse i've seen for packaged bees. Even though there are still some available it seems like the companies shipping them seems to have problems. I'm guessing at this point that is one of the reasons that C.F. Koehnen quit mailing packages and went to local pickups only.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would have loved to have picked up my packages this year.

Unfortunately there are many, many of us who have no one even remotely close to buy bees from.

The horror stories keep coming with UPS .. and I honestly think USPS is the better way to go, far from perfect, but better. I remember the Pigeon Mountain disaster last year. Almost 500 packages died. And if I recall right, so did the replacements. They get a pretty penny for these shipments ( UPS) -- its ridiculous to have workers destroy live animals and take no blame for it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Have no fear ..2015 many new beeks will be raising ( attempting) to grow our own .... So keep the good advice flowing

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
marshallews in any kind of heat become a sticky mess too. I would do a water can and candy seperated. Let the bees mix it themselves.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
All I can do is sit here and wonder.:scratch:

Why do people ship packages when they shouldn't? From bad locations routing wise. One dates when its way to hot. In packages build for $3 or less that would not withstand an accidental bump more or less a good drop.:eek:

In almost every case it is not the fault of UPS. Its with the shipper doing things when and how they should not and then passing the buck to the shipper.

Quite with the excuses. No more cry towels handed out from me. What a bunch of cry babies on here.

Every person who ordered packages from us this year got live bees. A few... about 2 % failed on the original shipment but were all reshipped successfully on the second round.

It cost me a ton to reship but I know its part of the scheme of things that I know will happen each year and we plan accordingly.

Get over it............. Order for the right time from people who know when and how to ship and won't complain when things go bad before they get into the persons hands who may or may not know what to do when they get them.

·
Registered
82 Posts
All I can do is sit here and wonder.:scratch:

Get over it............. Order for the right time from people who know when and how to ship and won't complain when things go bad before they get into the persons hands who may or may not know what to do when they get them.

Uh, not everyone has a way to know that the people they are buying from 'know how and when to ship'.

That's a pretty cavalier way to look at the hard earned money wasted when UPS SPRAYS packages and kills them ( how is that the stupidity of buyer or seller ??? )

Not everyone has thousands or even hundreds of dollars to just say, oh well, haha, tough for me. And I don't think anyone wants a crying towel from you. This strikes me as an incredibly callous thing to post, really.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'm in my 3rd year and this year I went from 4 hives to 9 without purchasing any bees or queens and I don't do any queen rearing (yet).

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
"What a bunch of cry babies on here....
... Every person who ordered packages from us this year got live bees."

Let me guess. Customer relations is not your strong suit. My packages came from California this year also. I think I'll stick with that supplier.

Wayne

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I don't one can criticize those who were anxiously waiting for their bees to arrive and they did not get them...just a hassle instead.

Some suppliers may have excellent track records..others not so much. No one is immune to disaster.

New beeks awaiting their first packages really have no experience from which to make their decisions on suppliers. No web site says "we are dodgy bee suppliers".

The window for bee and honey production is narrow in much of N America. It is understandable that folks get upset when they face a set back.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
"What a bunch of cry babies on here....
... Every person who ordered packages from us this year got live bees."

Let me guess. Customer relations is not your strong suit. My packages came from California this year also. I think I'll stick with that supplier.

Wayne

Customer service involves not selling packages when they have a high propensity to die.... Customer service says build the ship boxes so they don't leak. Customer service says reship dead ones at our expense. Customer service says buy some bee books and get your equipment in hand before you give me a darn dime for bees. Customer service says we have a great foolproof way to install packages and hold a stiff of refusing to tolerate fools that insist they know better because they saw some video on youtube. Customer service says people need to do their homework before they do bees.

I know its a harsh analogy but people who get dead packages this time of year are akin some 15 year old kid who gets some STD cause he didn't know what would happen it he cast a wandering eye towards the local slut.... A purchase made in ignorance is hardly the full fault of the supplier. Do your homework!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
B Weaver shipped mine, on time, very few dead, one clinger hung on all the way B Weaver :thumbsup: Ah, BTW 17 combs in less than two months, going like gang busters.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
"Do your homework!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I ordered my last batch of packages through Mann Lake, who had them shipped by Olivarez from California to Pennsylvania. I guess I did my homework well enough as the packages actually arrived a day earlier than scheduled and have been booming ever since.

The best part: their customer service department doesn't go on bee forums and insult anyone that lost bees because UPS sprayed them or likens anyone that had packages die in transit to kids picking up hookers.

Every producer will present their operation in the best light, whether a long-established and reputable firm or any hole-in-the-wall shop. Any newbie would have a hard time knowing what claims are real or not, and, in the end, takes a chance whenever they send anyone money. If nothing else, they can look at negative and insulting attitudes and decide if this who they wish to do business with.

I now know I can trust Olivarez and should I need packages in the future, I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again.

Wayne

·
Registered
8,056 Posts
I may not get style points because I feed granulated white sugar that comes from beets in my area thru out the long cold winter. I keep close track of my mite load and take care of the problem when it arises. I make sure my bees have room so they don't swarm and produce a crop. I didn't need to buy bees this year although I got queens shipped from the south from a reliable supplier for early splits. Get off the carosel and raise your own bees! We had no flow of any kind from toward the end of October to the second half of April. If I can do it and some guy in Vermont can do it on a large scale, So can you. Most of Canada has to do it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts