Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago when I first made up some Upper Entrance Rims, I made a few that had screens inserted where I usually used a piece of wood, so the bees alighted on a platform of screen instead of the wood. Recently I installed cleats onto all of my supers, then I realized that the best way to use my older entrance rims was to install them upside down with the bees entrance then facing down. When I positioned some of the entrance rims with screen platforms I observed that it acted much like the typical "Robber Screens". This link is to plans for such screens Upper Entrance Rim Robber Screens

·
Registered
197 Posts
If I understand your setup, this rim adds a gap between a pair of supers, open along the front edge, where the screen provides a landing pad. Do you have problems with burr comb due to the added separation between the upper and lower frames? How thick is your spacer?

I like this approach.

-- Steven

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've made them in various dimensions, trying to see if there are any differences between them. I have some that are 1/4" thick and some that are 3/8" thick. I prefer the thicker ones (more space for pollen sub patties). I provide lots of supers during the honey flow and have seen very little burr/brace comb in the entrance rim area.

The ones with screen for a landing pad I now flip over and they act as robber screens.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts