Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Must an upper entrance be below the inner cover or can it be above the inner cover? Does a queen excluder have any impact on whether the upper entrance is above or below the inner cover? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Wouldn't a using a queen excluder and an upper entrance trap all the drones inside the hive? Or
do you also intend to have a lower entrance?

Wayne

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would use both upper and bottom entrances at the same time. Always had the traditional bottom entrance, but want to add the upper entrance to help with increased honey and ventilation.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I put my small upper entrance below my flat roof. i'd think you'd want them to go right onto the frames. not have to go through the inner cover hole.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
>Must an upper entrance be below the inner cover or can it be above the inner cover?

Either works.

> Does a queen excluder have any impact on whether the upper entrance is above or below the inner cover?

You have to have some way for drones to get out below the excluder, but no, it has no impact on above or below the inner cover... drones, workers and queens can easily get out the hole in the inner cover...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts