Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of putting an upper entrance into a migratory cover. Has anyone tried to dado or route a migratory cover for an upper entrance? My migratory covers have a small lip that overhangs the front and back of the box. Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
are you using an inner cover with your migratory covers? If not your migratory covers are going to be stuck down to the boxes pretty good with burr comb and propolis. If you are using an inner cover you could just notch it 3/8 inch deep and wide for upper entrance.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
You can also just cut an entrance notch in one end of your present covers. I've done some like that, works well. I used a router, but I can think of several other ways to create similar notches - such as a dado on a table saw, or even just a table saw with regular blade (multiple passes).

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
are you using an inner cover with your migratory covers? If not your migratory covers are going to be stuck down to the boxes pretty good with burr comb and propolis. If you are using an inner cover you could just notch it 3/8 inch deep and wide for upper entrance.
I thought one of the reasons to use a migratory cover was that you didn't need an inner cover.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think it may work for me to run a notched inner cover with the migratory cover. I'll have to see if the notch is lower than the lip.

Ray, I like your idea too, do you run front bottom and side upper entrances together? I was thinking of just a 2" dado from the front to about two or three inches in.

I am going to experiment this weekend.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I went to all migratory covers. They get glued down with propolis just the way an inner cover would; no more no less. Haven't seen the burr comb. I love having just one cover to deal with. Notching the hive body or cover should work fine. Or you could just pull back the top super (offset) to make an entrance. I've not had great luck with getting my bees to use a top entrance unless given no alternative. They like the bottom entrance.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Ray, I like your idea too, do you run front bottom and side upper entrances together? .
Just the one top entrance. I guess you could call that combo feeder board and entrance an inner cover, now that I think about it. It lets me move the entrance up easily, and feed with an empty hive body. I originally devised it for my long hives, so that I could move the entrance to the top of any supers.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I use top entrances with migratory covers. But, I also use an inner cover along the lines of the Honey Run ventilated inner cover. I usually post a link but the website seems to be down. I cut a 3/8" by 5" wide entrance in the center.

Tom

·
Registered
848 Posts
I went to all migratory covers. They get glued down with propolis just the way an inner cover would; no more no less. Haven't seen the burr comb. I love having just one cover to deal with. Notching the hive body or cover should work fine. Or you could just pull back the top super (offset) to make an entrance. I've not had great luck with getting my bees to use a top entrance unless given no alternative. They like the bottom entrance.
As you,I've not had any luck with them using the top entrance.I built a frame 1" thick & cut out a notch 4" long with around a 3/8 notch,Placed it between the brood box & honey super,
I watched it several times & never seen the bees use it,Going or coming in.Mark,,,,

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I checked it out and if I use one of my notched inner covers below the migratory it just might work!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I use top entrances with migratory covers. But, I also use an inner cover along the lines of the Honey Run ventilated inner cover. I usually post a link but the website seems to be down. I cut a 3/8" by 5" wide entrance in the center.
Tom
Tom, I have also used the screened inner covers, also called moving screens, with a migratory outer but only for ventilation. I am concerned that they might get flimsy if I notched them. How are yours holding up?

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
If you eliminate the opening in the convenient/or inconvenient (depending on your point of view) insectivore serving tray (bottom entrance), they will, most certainly, use the upper entrances, if you provide them.

·
Registered
116 Posts
brushy mountain,s migratory top has an upper entrance, you can slide it to the front for the notch that's cut out to give you the entrance or pull it back and not have one.

·
Registered
329 Posts
brushy mountain,s migratory top has an upper entrance, you can slide it to the front for the notch that's cut out to give you the entrance or pull it back and not have one.
So is the larger one just a wider version of this?

Is this enough for the traffic of a full blown hive?

·
Registered
531 Posts
back to the original question:

if your migratory covers are like the ones i made for some nucs over the winter, there's a block of wood on either end of the cover. why not just use your router or stacked dado blade on a table saw to notch an opening in that block of wood then attach it to the actual cover?

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I was thinking of going to top entrances on my hives. Michael Bush uses them exclusively from what I gather, he uses shims to raise the front on his. There are pic in the practical beekeeper. G

1 - 20 of 22 Posts