Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New hive this year that successfully re-queened itself about 5 weeks ago. She it mainly using the upper deep right now. Lower box has some brood and a little bit of stores. She's a good layer. Nice pattern. Definitely better than the girl she replaced.

I know it is usually a spring time thing but should I reverse the deeps and start to feed?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
No, do not reverse hives this time of year. The bees know what they are doing. If the bottom box doesn't have stores by the time fall is over, put on sugar bricks for emergency feed over the winter.

·
Registered
495 Posts
So.... WINTER is coming. If the queen has capped brood in the top box.... what nectar source will replace the capped brood, to become honey? Nothing. Right? that's where the bees will overwinter, on what is now capped brood, because no nectar comes in after about next week to become honey.

I do reverse, and then feed like literally 5 gallons of 2:1 sugar syrup. A gallon becomes about 1 capped frame of honey.

If you don't reverse, the bees will overwinter in the top box. If you put like a 2" sugar board on, as in, 2" deep with sugar, and replace that like 4 times as they use it, then they will probably make it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have a huge goldenrod flow going right now. When I was in the hive today most of the hive had their pollen baskets full but I didn't see a whole lot of stores in the lower deep.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts