Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Valued Customer,

Due to current market conditions, we’ve made some updates to our free shipping model. Effective July 1, 2022, the free shipping minimum order will be increased from $100.00 to $150.00. This change is necessary to ensure all of our customers receive the same quality products and speedy shipments that they have come to expect.

We appreciate your continued loyalty during these challenging economic times.

Mann Lake Bee & Ag Supply

·
Registered
556 Posts
Mann Lake's customer service and attitude towards it's customers has been absolutely terrible in my opinion since they were taken over by Grey Mountain Partners investment group. Unfortunately, this applies to Walter T. Kelley who was a favorite of mine in past times before their take over by Grey Mountian Partners. This shipping cost price increase although understandable in the current Bidenflation environment does not help with it's public perception. Before the take over, I spent a LOT of money with Mann Lake and Walter T. Kelley. They had great customer service, and were easy to deal with. Now, I buy as little as possible from Mann Lake or Kelley and do my best to support other Beekeeping suppliers.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Dear Valued Customer,

Due to current market conditions, we’ve made some updates to our free shipping model. Effective July 1, 2022, the free shipping minimum order will be increased from $100.00 to $150.00. This change is necessary to ensure all of our customers receive the same quality products and speedy shipments that they have come to expect.

....and just how does this increase help "quality products and speedy shipments"?

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Last week, Grey Mountain Partners booted the Mann Lake CEO Stuart Volby and replaced him with a Grey Mountain "founding partner" Rob Wright. The PR for the CEO replacement had a lot of buzz words about "strengthening inventory control". Volby was a long term ML employ, and was operations manager before moving up to CEO with the 2018 Grey Mountain buyout.

Grey Mountain business model is to buy and "flip" companies to new owners fairly quickly (2-4 years). Currently the Grey Mountain Partners website lists only ML and a Oilwell services company as current affiliates. Grey Mountain has owned ML since fall 2018, so is at the end of their "buy and flip" time envelope.

My suspicion is Grey Mountain has been trying to 'flog' ML and has not been able to find a buyer, and has called in the "founding partner" to do some crisis management. Grey Mountain raised some eyebrows with its really aggressive roll-up of all the other bee supply competition, they may have miscalculated.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Dear Valued Customer,

I got that today, and at the bottom of their e-mail still said free shipping over $100 - on the same page! So if you clicked that link you could reasonably argue the free shipping over $100.

I bet when these "challenging economic times" end, it'll stay the same $150.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
5,072 Posts
I got that today, and at the bottom of their e-mail still said free shipping over $100 - on the same page! So if you clicked that link you could reasonably argue the free shipping over $100.

well since prices are up 25 to 30 percent just have a slightly bigger order.
then free shipping.
or order with another person close to you, as 1 order instead of 2.

GG

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dadant just sent out their email reminding everyone that they still offer free shipping at $100. It made me laugh a bit. That said, I generally order from smaller suppliers and more local when possible. (Texas Bee Supply ships free at $50, so there's that. Can't wait until they open the new physical store nearby.)

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Dadant just sent out their email reminding everyone that they still offer free shipping at $100. It made me laugh a bit. That said, I generally order from smaller suppliers and more local when possible. (Texas Bee Supply ships free at $50, so there's that. Can't wait until they open the new physical store nearby.)
I just got that promotional email and had the same laugh.

·
Registered
7 Hives of Apis mellifera with some Africanization
5,510 Posts
That explains what happened to the Mann Lake Ltd. I remember from 7 years ago. On 2 June I ordered some of their one piece plastic frame/foundations. I've contacted them several times, only to be told that it's on back order at my designated distribution center. But, today, more than 3 weeks later, I was told, after inquiring again, that they would transfer my order to their facility that did have them available, and get them right out. In the past I would never have needed to contact them about this issue. They would have promptly sent them to me no matter where the physical product was located, not make me wait 3 weeks, while giving me the run-around, about not in stock at my distribution center. Why should I have to suffer for their logistics shortcomings. Very poor customer service.

·
Premium Member
Mutts and carniolans.
603 Posts
In the past I would never have needed to contact them about this issue. They would have promptly sent them to me no matter where the physical product was located,
Just two years ago they were still doing this. Very confusing at the time to receive a shipping conformation from Kelly when I had ordered from Mann Lake. One item was only in stock at that location so order was split...

·
Registered
369 Posts
I think we were all better off before the suppliers started offering "free shipping". If I remember correctly it started with Mann Lake not all that many years ago. Eventually most of the other suppliers had to make the same offer to remain competitive, but as the did so they jacked up the prices of their products to cover it.
The term is just a feel-good marketing ploy and there is no such thing as free shipping.

·
Super Moderator
2,037 Posts
I don't believe in "free" anything.
Unless something has changed, MannLake will give you "in-store" pricing if you pick up your purchase.
When we bought our new tractor, I was ready to pay cash until I saw an ad for "Zero money down and 60 months at zero interest"
Although we pay cash for everything, this sounded like something to look into.
You guessed it; we paid cash and got a $1200.00 discount instead.
But I do not care to demonize vendors for their strategy's. Whatever works for buyer and seller.
I am always grateful that I can place a phone call and a truck of supplies shows up like magic shortly after.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
There is no free lunch.
I thought going down to the Sears mail store to buy a hive for later pick up was pretty slick. I don't remember if it was prepay or not.

Alex

·
Registered
2-10 frame double deep Langstroth, 1-5 frame deep nuc
241 Posts

Yep, or some cute marketing program like “tell and friend coupon” “earn points” and my personal favorite “beehive bucks” when I see terms, I start looking else where.
Vote your Vote! $$$$$

·
Registered
2-10 frame double deep Langstroth, 1-5 frame deep nuc
241 Posts
It’s worth mentioning, when one conglomerate starts buying up everything, just a mater of time before they slide that stinger to ya.

·
Registered
7 Hives of Apis mellifera with some Africanization
5,510 Posts
Before my 7 year hiatus, I had often, though infrequently ordered supplies from Mann Lake. What I recently experienced was a very atypical experience with them. On 2 Jun I ordered various quantities of two different items, one queen muff, and 30 PF126, medium depth all-plastic frame/foundations. In less than a week, I had received the queen muff. I then inquired about the frames and was told that they were out of stock at my local distribution center. More than 3 weeks go by, I again inquire about my absent frames, and am told the same thing. Then a few days ago, after my third inquiry, I am told they are in stock at their MN facility, and they'll ship them right out. I received them today, almost a month after I ordered them. This is definitely not the Mann Lake I remember. I am hesitant to do business with them again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts