Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my 12 year old daughter and I went out on May 7 and collected our first swarm and became her hive!

We housed it in a 5 frame nuc for 3 days and then we moved the ladies into a deep super with a frame feeder.

Today we actually moved them again into a custom Grandpa built set of boxes and here are a few pictures. They are doing great we have drawn out comb with honey, pollen and brood ready to pop any day. We found the queen, and watched here place a few eggs in some empty spots. My daughter is really getting into it.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
That's awesome. Great job. :thumbsup:

I see a queen on the 3rd pic.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
It's awesome that your daughter is getting into it, the pics tell the story. Our next generation of beekeepers in training.

I'm hoping you have at least a veil for her and yourself. If you open up the hive later in the season without protection for the head, and they happen to be in a cranky mood .... she might get out of it pretty quick.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Looooking gooood :thumbsup::applause:

I'm hoping you have at least a veil for her and yourself. If you open up the hive later in the season without protection for the head, and they happen to be in a cranky mood .... she might get out of it pretty quick.
Especialy with that long hair, keep the young people interested

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's awesome that your daughter is getting into it, the pics tell the story. Our next generation of beekeepers in training.

Yes we both have full suites, the girls were especially calm on that day. She has no fear, and loves looking for the queen and is getting good at it!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
As they grow and get something to defend, they will be a bit more aggressive. BUT...congrats, i think its awesome. My 3 yr old is addicted too!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Congratulations on catching the swarm and getting another beekeeper started. These are fantastic pictures and it is wonderful that you can share these experiences with your family.
Great job and thanks for sharing these pictures with us!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Thanks for sharing the wonderful pictures of you and your daughter. I shared them with my girls because they also would like to keep bees with me and it keeps them excited to see others doing it without fear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts