Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I came outside to find one of my hives tipped over against a tree. My initial thought was, WTF?!?! Luckily the bees have it welded shut so well that it didn't come apart, but still -- not a good thing to find. We live fairly deep in the woods and it is behind the house, so vandalism didn't seem likely. I initially thought maybe one of my dogs (Great Danes) had run into it or one of my son's friends (teenagers) had messed with it. Two days later, my neighbor sent this photo of a visitor to their back window. :eek:

#mysterysolved

Bear.jpg

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
That jerk gets around. Visited me last year. Call your game warden before you do anything. In my case,it is required that you take certain actions to secure your apiary before you can shoot it without a severe penalty. Mine had an electric fence,so the warden gave me the ok. Mine was a female with cubs and if I shot her, the warden would have to shoot the cubs because they can't survive on their own. I baited my fence with bacon (which warden ok'ed )
and she got a good jolt two nights later. No problem since,knock on wood. J

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nah, I'm a live and let live kind of guy. Unless/until it poses a grave threat to more than my bees, Yogi can go about his business. The bees seem to have it figured out anyway -- they have that hive buttoned up tight! ;)

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I am the same live and let live type Feckman,but the night after the first attack she ripped the door off of my shed where I put the damaged frames and boxes. I then moved those to my attached garage. If she busted a door off to get in there,I would have had little choice.
Be advised,she will be back and you won't be so lucky next time. Get a fence. J

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Nah, I'm a live and let live kind of guy. Unless/until it poses a grave threat to more than my bees, Yogi can go about his business. The bees seem to have it figured out anyway -- they have that hive buttoned up tight! ;)
call the dec any way, in the past each county was allocated one bee fence to loan out, there is no way the bees can button it up tight enough to keep him out, the young bears are looking for new homes, the fence may move him along.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Electric Fence. I'm with you, live and let live...........unless the bean bag &/or rubber bullets from shotgun don't work. You can also try a stinky tee shirt hung on a cross, a few 'critter gitter' alarms: https://www.amazon.com/Amtek-Critter-Gitter-Repeller-Flashing/product-reviews/B0028PEQZU . Close to where my bees are, maybe 20 yards, if that, is a telephone pole, where bears have marked. There is a barbed wire fence between that pole and my hives, then around my hives I have fence panels (cattle fencing), then inside the cattle fencing I have an electric fence, that I need to redo, hasn't been on for a few years. Luckily nothing has messed with my hives. And my hives are strapped down, onto big heavy wooden blocks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
One of the big issues is once they get a taste they will come back. Bears are pretty smart. If you can keep them away before they get a taste there is a good chance they won't com back. We had several apiaries get flattened near me. One of the mentors in the bee club has a whole soap box lecture about how an electric fence is the best thing you can do for your bees. My area is between rural and suburban, so not in the middle of nowhere but not the city and we get lots of bear sightings.

I think a good electric fence setup is well worth the investment.

·
Registered
575 Posts
We have one of them varmints roaming southern central Michigan. Getting reports of hives destroyed so you can kind of get idea of where the bear is going. 2 days ago a farmer friend came home from work at 2:00pm to find a bear on the 2 hives near his house. He has never seen a bear at his farm before, but I am sure they have been around every so often. Bear tend to follow river systems. It is something I have considered when thinking about locating hives in the future. River bottom is great for bees, and most of the areas I want to keep beehives are near rivers and do see a little bear traffic every few years. My guess is that keeping the hives on the downwind side of the river a mile away might be the best choice. Just have to hope a bear isn't downwind on a day the wind blows against the prevailing direction.

Will be looking at a solar powered electric fence.

I have seen bears twice near where I live in 40 years. I didn't mention it but to a few close friends because I didn't want to have an argument about my sanity. The sightings are becoming more common, and since one walked right through the center of a local town a few years back people don't think you are crazy anymore.

I don't think bears have to eat honey to crave it. They seem to have a genetic disposition that makes them go a bit bonkers for it. It's an old Yooper trick to burn a pot of honey and sit in the smoke plume with a rifle pointed down wind. The bears come running with their nose in the air.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
feckman;1816determintation and 223 said:
don't underestimate the strength of a bear. 'Buttoned up tight' is only 1 successful claw point away from being boxes and frames scattered around the yard.
Bear claws, the ultimate hive tool.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Aww so cute in a pic, but yeH it will be back. And back to the window he's looking in.
I miss having Danes. Mine would have loved to go play with a bear. Something Their size lol
Pic of the dogs please 🙂

1 - 14 of 14 Posts