Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Walmart a couple of weeks ago, and in the section where they sell Mexican food, they had Zulka brand unrefined cane sugar. I bought a bag and took it home, ate a teaspoon of it, and it mentally took me back to the early 60's at the grade school fair, chewing on raw sugar cane.:) No more Imperial for me.:D

OOPS- sorry- that was supposed to be "unrefined"

·
Registered
415 Posts
Unrefined cane sugar is great stuff!:):):)
From Mexico, not so great.
Heard it was not good for Bees thou due to the undigestible solids in it.
Every fall I get a couple of gallons of cane juice from my neighbor. HmmmHmmmGood!!!
He used to make syrup but the demand is just not there any more. So sad.

·
Premium Member
7,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought it for me, not the bees!:eek::D

Is unrefined cane sugar grown in the US available? I haven't seen it. I have bought Turbinado sugar alot, but I don't think it's the same thing. Maybe I'm wrong.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Haven't bought any in years, but it used to be available. At least it wasn't from China.
Here is a link to some from Hawaii. Don't know if its available in your locale. I think its the kind you mentioned thou.

sugarintheraw.com/

·
Premium Member
7,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the link. I guess I could drive 40 miles to the nearest Central Market and probably pay $5 per pound.;) If anyone in this area has it, they probably do.

·
Premium Member
7,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a friend who is retired military and he goes to the commissary now and then. I'll ask him to check next time he's there. Thanks.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts