Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a call from a member of our church Thursday night that a swarm had been located on his parents' farm. He said that someone got stung on a tractor riding past them. I somewhat attributed this to the tractor, and dismissed it. When I arrived Friday morning, I found a very defensive swarm which I had never really heard of before. That said, they were out in sub-freezing temperatures at least one night, and if they were out the night before then it was even colder that previous night. I picked a few stingers out of my jeans and gloves after getting them boxed up and moved.

I've got them hived, and it has been raining all day today so there's not much activity outside the hive. I have a transparent inner cover, so I can peak in on them with minimal disruption and they seem to be busy. Assuming they stay, I'll keep a closer eye on their temperament. I've not re-queened before, but if this group is hostile I might decide to.

Is it that abnormal to have an angry, defensive, swarm? If you had to guess now, would you attribute it more to the conditions or the genetics of the colony? I
l'll try to update as I get more clues.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
bees in cold wet weather are a little more pissy for sure.
I would keep an eye on them and requeen if needed, sounds like you have a good plan.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Went out to the hive after church. I got buzzed back a few times more than I would normally expect, but nothing too egregious. There was some pollen coming in, so they seem to be busy. I'm still keeping a closer eye on them, but as of today I'm leaning toward weather/food conditions creating their original aggressive behavior more than genetics.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts