Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First-time beekeeper here. Two months ago I installed a new package of Italians in a hive, and followed the standard instructions with respect to the Queen (cage hanging on center frame, marshmallow, etc, etc). After a ~5 days the queen had not been released and so I removed the marshmallow and freed her manually. Checking again a few days later there was clear activity (eggs, a larva or two) but no sign of the marked queen. The hive appears happy and healthy and has been thriving, but despite periodic checks... no queen.

Until now. But, surprise! The queen of this bustling hive isn't marked and definitely doesn't appear to be Italian. Stills from a video below.

Questions:
1. What sort of queen did I get? From google, the best I can come up with is that it visually has a "European dark bee" vibe.
2. How did I get this interloper queen? Extra queen in the package? Is it possible for a hive to pick up a stray feral queen (is that even a thing?)
3. Are there are signs/behaviors I should be looking out for as the Queen's genetics take over?

Thanks for any insight here.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Yeah, drone. I have to say that with 34 hives, I rarely ever see the queens. I do see fresh eggs, expanding populations and plenty of nurse bees. Sort of leave well enough alone, limit open inspections to one a week or more. In my first year, I was probably guilty of over inspecting-curiosity, learning and maybe even some fear. Look for the obvious, you have brood and eggs, she there somewhere. You'll learn more watching the landing board 15 minutes or so when you have the time. Less like to disturb the hive and it's growth.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,073 Posts
when bees are shook into a package thru a big funnel sometime a queen gets in there.
they would accept the loose queen better as they can get to her and her Pheromones.

bee in the pic is a drone.

if there is brood no worries except it is not the queen you paid for , however the queen was likely alive upon delivery and the bees killed her so not sure the package producer can do much about that.

this happens , may need to just go with it for now.

GG

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
It's easy to think a single drone is a queen. It's also hard sometimes to see queens, but you'll get it. They will pop out at you eventually. Look at some pictures of queens on a frame and you will learn to see the difference. Literally seeing the queen isn't necessary most of the time, but fun to see. I always look for larva, eggs and even empty cells waiting for the queen to determine all is well. Queens just happen to get noticed when I see them. You will learn to know which frames to generally find it on too. If your queen was marked, sometimes the worker bees will chew off the paint.

·
Registered
4ish langstrom hives
1,450 Posts
I had a package last year that I think showed up with 2 queens, and I had a 2 queen hive. I did not catch it until this spring. It does happen on occasion, but what you are pointing at is a drone. The drones are typically fatter and have bigger eyes than the queen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts