Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I installed a package of bees In a hive I've had sitting around.
The installation went great.
Decided to try the ziplock bag feeding method so I put a shallow super on the main hive body, put the bag in and closed it up. 5 days later went out to change out the bag. everything was going well. The girls had made a bit of comb on the inner cover which I removed put another bag of feed in and closed it up. Went out this morning opened it up and by god those little guys had covered half the inner cover with comb 5 inches deep. Figured I had to contemplate this problem a bit so I put the bag in and closed it up.
This is the last time I was planning on feeding but I'm in a quandry as to how to remedy this situation. There's like a thousand bees working on this project.:doh:

·
Registered
306 Posts
You got a booming hive and consider putting empty frames towards the middle of the brood chamber so they can build there. Would even consider foundation-less frames as they are so vigorous and let them comb it out themselves. Great girls!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:doh: Why didn't I think of that! Old age IS creeping in.
I have to admit these are the gentlest, calmest bees I've ever worked with.
Nothing seems to upset them. R. Weaver All-American.
Thanks for the idea on the frames.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I have the same situation in one of my new packaged hives. 5 have bucket feeders and two have baggie feeders. I also used bags on an existing hive. Only the one colony insists on building comb inside the two inch shim. I've cleaned it out a couple of times since installing them two weeks ago. The have plenty of room in the empty frames below. I think they are either undisciplined as the subject line states or they're just messing with me.

At any rate, tonight I swap their baggie feeder for a bucket and maybe they'll toe the line.

Wayne

1 - 7 of 7 Posts